PLV340 Weed Biology and Weed-Crop Relationships
Check for course changes due to the coronavirus outbreak on Canvas and StudentWeb.
Showing course contents for the educational year starting in 2021 .
Course responsible: Lars Olav Brandsæter
Teachers: Kirsten Semb Tørresen, Liv Berge
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: Faculty of Biosciences
Teaching language: EN, NO
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in Spring parallel. This course has teaching/evaluation in Spring parallel, .
Course frequency: Odd years
First time: 2013V
Themes about weed biology and ecology, as well as how different weed management practices reach the weeds in a species specific way will be discussed in lectures, exercises and a self study and seminars.
- Shall understand the biology of the different groups of weeds as well as for the most important weed species
- Shall understand how different direct and preventive methods influence different weeds in a species dependent point of view.
- Knowldge on weed-crop relationships, including both competition and allelopathy, and how different weed managements influence on the relationships.
- Knowledge on innovative and site specific management strategies.
- Shall be able to emply the knowledge for developing new strategies in different weed-crop situations.
- Evaluate and include different weed strategies in a broader point of view, including also other aspects in the agroecology perspective.
The theme will be discussed in lectures, exercises and a self study and seminars.
The responsible teacher will be available for consultans
Sigurd Håkansson 2003. Weeds and weed management on arable land: An Ecological approach
A first degree (bachelor or candidate degree) in biology or closely related fields. More specific, the first degree should include PLV200 or PLV210, or other cources with similar content.
Excercises, self study and seminars
Oral exams 70 %, term paper/excercise 30%.
Special requirements in Science
Type of course:
Lectures: about 30 hours Excercises: about 10 hours Seminars: about 10 hours
Examination details: Combined assessment: A - E / F