INN360 Sustainable Business Model Innovation
There may be changes to the course due to to corona restrictions. See Canvas and StudentWeb for info.
Showing course contents for the educational year 2021 - 2022 .
Course responsible: Matthew Patrick James Lynch
Teachers: Elin Kubberød, Nils Sanne
ECTS credits: 10
Faculty: School of Economics and Business
Teaching language: NO
Limits of class size:
Maximum number of students are 33, pre-registration to study advisor.
Teaching exam periods:
Dette kurset starter og avsluttes høstparallellen.
Course frequency: The course was given first time Spring 2020.
First time: 2021H
Master students in Entrepreneurship and innovation
The course shall provide the students with basic knowledge about the role of innovation for sustainable development. The world is now facing huge social and environmental challenges that need to be solved and it seems obvious that business as usual is not an option for a sustainable future.
Business model innovation is currently being discussed as an approach to address sustainability challenges, such as those formulated by the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In the course, we will focus on how business model innovation can contribute to new and disruptive solutions that will make a difference. The students will work in teams and use design thinking as a mindset and approach to develop new solutions that would change how we think about future business and innovation.
Design thinking is a user centric innovation methodology that contains a tool-box of techniques that encourages the creation of deep insights, problem definition, and opens of for alternative solutions around problem solving. Rather than going for the first idea, design thinking encourages prototyping and iteration for testing and learning.
The achievement of the SDGs depends heavily on efficient application of creative thinking and technologies. For example, what opportunities and challenges lies within digital technologies for the development of sustainable business models. Through the course the students will obtain knowledge and direct hands on experience on how to create sustainable value through new business model designs. The course will depart from a real problem in the real life that matter for ours future and the students will develop a new concept with a sustainable business model or redesign an existing business model.
- The students shall acquire knowledge within chosen topics related to sustainability and SDGs.
- The students should get a comprehensive understanding of the concept of a sustainable business model.
- The students should get deep knowledge of business model innovation with focus on user centric innovation and Design Thinking.
- The students shall apply Design Thinking as method to finalize a business concept and sustainable business model.
- The students shall through collaborative learning and problem solving develop new and creative solutions of value for society and stakeholder, and through this develop themselves as innovative agents.
- The students will train their ability to review literature, collect data and information, process and analyze complex information and data, and finally structure a comprehensive project and report.
- Use relevant theories and apply them to comprehend and reflect upon their learning process.
- The students will develop their collaborative competence
- The students will develop their problem solving and creative skills under extreme environmental uncertainty.
- The students will develop their own analytical and reflective capacity on working with wicked problems and reflect upon their actions.
- The students will through team-work develop their social and communication skills
Individual self-study and supervised group work throughout the semester. 3-5 seminars.Weekly documentation and logging of project work progress.
Canvas and weekly follow up supervision. The students will work out and sign a team contract which regulate the team-work. The teams are self selected.
Selected books and articles on sustainability, sustainable business models and sustainable business model innovation, and design thinking (see canvas).
INN271 or INN301.
INN301 Innovation or INN271
Weekly group logs of project progress, and two assignments connected to project work orally presented.
Overall assessment of assignment presented in oral examination.
Students in the master programs in Entrepreneurship and Innovation and in Bioeconomy have first priority.
Students from other programs at NMBU can contact email@example.com to be put on a waiting list.
Reduction of credits:
10 stp. overlap between INN360 with version code V20
Type of course:
Kurset vil være veiledningsbasert, slik at studentene er hovedsaklig ansvarlig for egen prosjektplanlegging og progresjon. Det vil være noen seminarer og ellers ukentlig oppfølging på en fast ukedag.
An external examiner will participate at the final oral examination.
Examination details: Portfolio: A - E / F