IND240 Uncertainty Management in Projects
Check for course changes due to the coronavirus outbreak on Canvas and StudentWeb.
Showing course contents for the educational year starting in 2020 .
Course responsible: Asmamaw Tadege Shiferaw
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: Faculty of Science and Technology
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
Course frequency: Annually
First time: 2015H
- Challenges / deficiencies in deterministic project mnanagement
- Uncertainty dimension in projects
- Decisions under uncertainty
- Quantitative uncertainty analysis; costs, total economy, progress
- Qualitative uncertainty analyzes
- Multi criteria decision analysis (MCDA)
- Analysis Techniques - Monte Carlo simulation
- Analysis tools - examples
- Operational, proactive management of project uncertainty
- Value as a governing parameter
The course will have a strong foundation with examples from real projects.
The course will provide students basic knowledge on the analysis and management of the uncertainty dimension of projects:
- Investment costs
- Total economy
- Progress plans (schedule)
- Value creation / usefulness
The use of recognized tools and review of actual project examples in the classroom provide students the required skill to cope with the actual challenges of project management and governance.
Practical examples in combination with theory will be emphasized. Student teams conduct several assignments that are related to the themes of the lecture.
Curriculum overview is presented in the first lecture
1-3 assignments. All must be passed.
Assignment (40 %) and written exam, 3 hours (60 %)
5 credits normally requiers a workload of 150 hours
Minimum requirements for entrance to higher education in Norway (generell studiekompetanse)
Type of course:
Lectures: 2 hours of lecture per week
External examiner participates together with ineranl examiner in the design of the exam questions.
Examination details: Continuous exam: A - E / F