FYS103 Experimental methods and data analysis
Check for course changes due to the coronavirus outbreak on Canvas and StudentWeb.
Showing course contents for the educational year starting in 2019 .
Course responsible: Achim Kohler
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: Faculty of Science and Technology
Teaching language: NO
Limits of class size:
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in January block. This course has teaching and evaluation in the January block and the June block. The course has the major part of the labs in the spring part.
Course frequency: Annually
First time: 2010V
1. students who have the course as mandatory in their study plan
2. students on the following study programmes: B-EMF, M-LUN, M-MF, M-BA, M-GEOM, M-IØ, M-MPP, M-VM, B-GEOM
3. students with most ECTS credits
It there are not enough slots in group one the students will be ranked by their ECTS credits.
Students taking the course for the first time have lab priority.
During the first two weeks of the January block there are lectures and exercises. At the end of the second week, an intermediate exam will be conducted. In the last week of the January block, there will be a laboratory exercise. The laboratory exercises and related results must be presented through a report.
In the spring parallel, a total of four laboratory exercises shall be carried out. Three of these must be submitted as a written report. The fourth is to be prepared as an oral presentation held in the June block.
To understand the basis principle of some important spectroscopic measurement techniques.
To be able to evaluate the results of measurements and measurement uncertainties.
To be able to perform error analysis.
To get known to basic principles of multivariate data analysis.
To be able to give a structured presentation of measurement results.
To be able to make a written report.
To be able to present lab results orally.
The Course contains:
LECTURES where central ideas, theory and examples are covered.
EXERCISES that illustrate use and understanding of central concepts.
LABORATORY WORK where the student gains skills in the use of scientific equipment and in planning and conducting an experiment.
REPORT WRITING where the student produces written reports with a clear presentation of the measurement results and measurement uncertainties. Oral presentation where the students learn to present results orally.
Canvas will be used actively. Tutors are accessible during lab work and tutorials.
Taylor: An Introduction to Error Analysis. Lecture notes on multivariate analysis.
FYS101, FYS102, MATH111, MATH112, MATH113
STAT100 eller DAT110
Every exercise must be done.
The first report exercise must be done.
The 5 laboratory exercises must be done. All reports must be delivered and the presentation must be held.
Of the 7 obligatory activities (1 intermediate exercise, 1 report exercise, 5 written reports for laboratory exercises), 5 must be approved.
Non approved reports cannot be redelivered the same term.
- The intermediate exam must be passed. It will be possible to take the intermediate exam once number if one has a valid absence or does not pass at the first opportunity. If the student does not pass the exam (on one of the two possibilities) the student will not pass the course.
- The presentation and the five lab reports must be approved. If one of the reports or the presentation is rejected, a new lab exercise will be arranged in the June block and it needs to be delivered as the missing presentation or report.
- Students who have more than one failed report (or a report and the presentation) will not pass the course. The course has only longitudinal assessment, no final examination.
Unapproved reports cannot be submitted again in the same semester.
Organized lectures: 70 hours. Group work in pairs and self study: 80 hours.
Special requirements in Science
Type of course:
Lectures: 18 hours. Exercises: 28 hours. Laboratory work: 24 hours.
The external and internal examiner jointly prepare the exam questions and the correction manual.
Allowed examination aids: B2 Calculator handed out, other aids as specified
Examination details: Continuous exam: Passed / Failed