FORNY360 Renewable Energy Systems Analysis
Showing course contents for the educational year 2022 - 2023 .
Course responsible: Thomas Martinsen
Teachers: Bjørn Reidar Langerud
ECTS credits: 10
Faculty: Faculty of Environmental Sciences and Natural Resource Management
Teaching language: EN
Teaching exam periods:
This course has teaching and evaluation in Autumn parallel.
Course frequency: Annually
First time: Study year 2022-2023
Energy system analysis includes the value chain from energy sources via conversion to demand for energy services and theory and practice in methods for determining how the system as a whole can be optimized. Analysis of a simple energy system using calculation, linear optimization in Excel is carried out and presented in an individual assignment. Students become familiar with the method and format of scientific literature study through work with relevant articles. Students have the opportunity to receive feedback on a study of relevant literature on the topic of their own master's thesis.
After completing the course, the student should be able to:
- Describe the functions of the energy system and interconnection with linear equations.
- Synthesize and analyze energy systems for alternative energy solutions with regard to techno-economic criteria and choice of system boundary.
- Apply method for projection of demand for energy services and energy carriers, and potential impact from technological development.
- Explain the difference between different energy-economy-environment models.
- Explain what characterizes a literature study based on scientific articles.
- The student should be able to use Excel to find learning curves for a technology.
- Based on accumulated knowledge and skills earlier in the study, the student must master written presentation of a techno-economic analysis.
Cooperate and carry out a project in collaboration with other students, and carry out a presentation of the content of a scientific article.
Lectures, exercises, hand-in, presentation for the class.
Comments and feedback on hand-ins, review of the exersizes in class and professional guidance in teacher's office hours.
The syllabus will be handed out in the first lecture.
MATH100, BUS230, FORNY350, FORNY240, FORNY300, FORNY310, or equivalent
First lecture. Approved hand-ins.
Written exam (2,5 hours).
Special requirements in Science
Reduction of credits:
10 credits overlap with FORN330 (previous version).
Type of course:
Ca. 100 hours lectures, seminars, lectures, exercises and students' presentation
The external examiner assesses the exam results.
Allowed examination aids: B1 Calculator handed out, no other aids
Examination details: Written exam: Letter grades