BUS210 Managerial Accounting and Budgeting
There may be changes to the course due to to corona restrictions. See Canvas and StudentWeb for info.
Showing course contents for the educational year 2020 - 2021 .
Course responsible: Stig Aleksander Aune
ECTS credits: 10
Faculty: School of Economics and Business
Teaching language: NO
Limits of class size:
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in Spring parallel. This course has teaching/evaluation in the Spring parallel, .
Course frequency: Annually
First time: 2004V
Introduction to basic methods and techniques related to managerial accounting and budgeting. The students will acquire knowledge and skills on data collection, analysis and interpretation and presentation of decision relevant information.
- The finance function`s role
- Types of costs and cost allocation
- Perspectives on pricing
- Activity Based Costing (ABC)
- Cost- volume- profit analyses and decision making challenges
- Budgeting and planning
- Performance evaluation
- Sustainability reporting
Upon completion of the course, the candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills and general competencies:
The candidate has:
- knowledge of managerial accounting's strategic value
- Knowledge of different types of costs and different methods for cost allocation and calculation, including ABC calculation and is able to carry out cost- volume- profit analyses
- Awareness of different pricing models, including transfer pricing
- Knowledge of a traditional approach to budgeting, but also about new ideas and tools for planning, management and cost control
- The ability to discuss the purpose of budgets in general, the organising of the budgeting process and develop cash flow-, P&L- and Balance Sheet budgets
- Knowledge of diverse financial and non-financial performance targets, and is able to evaluate advantages and disadvantages associated with them
- Awareness of strategic management accounting models like the Balanced Scorecard, Economic Value Added (EVA) and Beyond Budgeting
- Knowledge of how to measure and report sustainability
The candidate can:
- Reflect on management accounting business issues from a management perspective
- Master managerial accounting terminology
- Convey key topics within managerial accounting both to peers and others in private enterprises or public entities
- Continue to deepen his or her knowledge within the area
- Develop spreadsheet models
- View managerial accounting in a wider business context
- Exercise critical thinking when evaluating calculations, management accounts and budgets
- Work independently and in cooperation with others in project groups
- Discuss theory in light of practical cases
- Distinguish between important and less important information
Lectures and supervised exercises. To some extent cas based learning.
Terje Berg, Grunnleggende Økonomistyring, 2. utgave, (2018).
Specifically marked articles and lecture notes are also mandatory reading.
It is recommended that the students have knowledge in financial accounting corresponding to BUS110.
9 mandatory assignments, whereof at least 6 must by approved to sit the exam.
The overall assessment will consist of a sub-test and a final examination based on a 30/70 relationship. There is mandatory attendance at the sub-test. Absence without satisfactory documentation will result in the final examination not being considered. When documenting valid absence, however, the final examination will count 100%. The duration of the sub-test is 1.75 hours, while the final examination will have a time frame of 3.5 hours. Both will be in writing. In case of any retake of the examination, both the sub-test and the final examination must be retaken. Such retake will only be held in the spring semester. No new exam will be held in the autumn semester.
Minimum requirements for entrance to higher education in Norway (generell studiekompetanse)
Type of course:
Lectures: Four hours per week. Exercises: Two hours per week.
External examiner will control the quality of syllabus, questions for the final examination, and principles for the assessment of the examination answers.
Examination details: :