BUS101 An Introduction to Business
Search for other courses here
Select other year
Showing course contents for the educational year 2020 - 2021 .
Course responsible: Stig Aleksander Aune
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: School of Economics and Business
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in the autumn parallel. This course has teaching/evaluation in the autumn parallel, .
Course frequency: Annually
First time: Study year 2019-2020
Key objectives include:
- An overview of contents and structure of the Bachelor programme and how different topics and courses are linked. Focus will be on inter-disciplinary understanding.
- A broad introduction to a firm's wider role in society and an overview of selected methods, techniques and models relevant to business decisions.
After completed course, the student has
- a useful overview of the bachelor programme as a whole and therefore a valuable starting point for the majority of courses taught later in the programme
- interdisciplinary understanding of how firms operate and work, how the business community and stock exchange work, and how they impact society as a whole
- knowledge of key terminology and important tools applied in financial analyses. Tools are comprised of methods, techniques, models, theories, etc.
- knowledge of basic elements of marketing, business strategy and organizational theory
- understanding of the meaning of corporate social responsibility
- understanding of how economics and business courses relate
After completed course, the student is able to:
- Understand and use central business terminology
- Apply critical thinking and reflect on the firms’ role in society
- Read and comprehend the contents of an annual report from a publicly listed company
Lectures, exercises and URLs. The purpose of the exercises is to concretize the lectures and stimulate to student participation.
Lectures with teaching assistants, relevant exercises and web-sites.
Selected papers, book extracts, lecture presentations. Emphasis will be placed on current events. Full presentation of the syllabus will be provided ahead of course start.
5 mandatory assignments, whereof at least 3 must by approved to sit the exam.
Written exam 3 hours (100%).
This course is open only for first year bachelor students in Business Administration.
Reduction of credits:
2.5 ECTS-credits with INN200 and BUS100.
Type of course:
Two hours, one lecture per week.
External examiner will control the quality of syllabus, questions for the final examination, and principles for the assessment of the examination answers.
Allowed examination aids: B2 Calculator handed out, other aids as specified
Examination details: Oral exam: A - E / F