BIO337 Biogas technology
Showing course contents for the educational year starting in 2019 .
Course responsible: Svein Jarle Horn
Teachers: Live Heldal Hagen, Trine Aulstad Sogn Tomasgaard, John Morken
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: Faculty of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science
Teaching language: EN, NO
Limits of class size:
Teaching exam periods:
Lectures in june 2020. Semester assignment deadline in october.
Course frequency: 2020
First time: 2018H
Biogas is mainly a blend of methane and carbon dioxide, produced by microbial communities under anaerobic conditions. Biogas may be produced from all kinds of organic material, and used for production of heat, power and fuel or as a feedstock in chemical industry. A biogas process will also produce a nutrient-rich digestate which may be used as a fertilizer. In this course, the student will learn the fundamentals of biogas technology, including topics like microbiology, process technology, modelling, digestate, pretreatment and industrial applications.
The students should:
- understand how biogas is made
- know the main steps in the biogas process
- know what digestate is
- have an overview of different applications of biogas
The student should:
- be able to draft a basic biogas process
- understand the opportunities and limitations related to use of microbial communities
The student should:
- be able to evaluate which feedstocks that are suitable for biogas production
- communicate biogas topics, both in writing and orally
- have a solid foundation for further studies in bioprocessing and biorefining
Lectures, home studies, excursion, semester assignment
Lectures and selected articles
BSc in Biotechnology, or equivalent.
Some understanding of biochemistry and microbiology
Lectures (minimum 90 % participation) and excursion.
Pass/not pass on semester assignment
Special requirements in science
Type of course:
- Lectures; 20 hours
- Self-study + semester assignment; 109 hours
- Presentation (including preparation); 14 hours
- Excursion; 7 hours
A total of 150 hours
External exanminer evaluates semester assignment.
Examination details: Langsgående vurdering: Bestått / Ikke bestått