BIO130 General Microbiology I
Check for course changes due to the coronavirus outbreak on Canvas and StudentWeb.
Showing course contents for the educational year starting in 2020 .
Course responsible: Geir Mathiesen
Teachers: Kamilla Wiull, Else Marie Aasen, Rannei Tjåland
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: Faculty of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science
Teaching language: NO
Limits of class size:
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in the Autumn parallel. This course has teaching/evaluation in the Autumn parallel.
Course frequency: Annually
First time: 2006H
B-BIOTEK, B-MAT, M-KB, B-BIOL, B-HV
The lectures cover the following topics:
- The microorganisms and you.
- The prokaryote and eukaryote cell types.
- Microbial metabolism.
- Growth of microorganisms.
- Control of microbial growth.
- Microscopy (Theory/practice )
- Simple classification of viruses, bacteria and fungi.
- The role of microorganisms in nature.
The laboratory course gives a thorough introduction in microbiological techniques. The use of light and phase contrast microscopy. Training in the use of aseptic work technique. Studies of the growth conditions of micro-organisms and how to prevent growth of undesired micro-organisms. The course provides an understanding of microbiology to better understand the basic principles of sustainability and climate as defined in the UN Sustainability Development Goals. In particular, that applies to the goals 3, 6, 8, 13, 14, 15.
- Can give an overview of various microorganisms and their role in nature.
- Be familiar with basic microbiological terminology
- Can give an overview of what characterizes the prokaryotic cell type
- Can give an overview of what affects growth of microorganisms
- Can give an overviwe of mechanisms of action and the dangers of using too much antibiotics
- Has pratical knowledge of the growth conditions of micro-organisms and how to prevent growth of undesired micro-organisms.
- Can make use of aseptic techniques
- Can use light and phase contrast microscopy in the study of different microorganisms
- Be able to set up simple experiments for testing a hypothesis.
- Can make interpretation of experimental data obtained during laboratory exercises
The course provides basic competence in theoretical and practical microbiology and a basis for further studies in biology, microbiology, biotechnology and food science.
LecturesLaboratory exercisesJournal writingIndividual study.
Supervision is given with the lectures and laboratory work. Lecture notes and exercise questions will be available on Canvas.
Textbook "Innføring i Mikrobiologi", Arne Tronsmo, Unversitetsforlaget, 2016.Pamphlet "Bakterienes immunsystem og genredigering; CRISPR/Cas", download from Canvas. For the laboratory exercises: Mathiesen: "Laboratorieøvelser i BIO130 Mikrobiologi". Compendium, NMBU 2020.
KJM100 General chemistry (or equivalent)
- BIO120 Genetics, or equivalent.
- BIO100 Cell Biology (may be taken in the same semester), or equivalent.
- Specialisation in Biology / Chemistry from high school is an advantage.
Compulsory participation in laboratory exercises, absence not approved. Handing in laboratory reports. Must have passed the laboratory reports to take the exam.
The interpretation of experimental data is evaluated in the laboratory journal, and this, together with your activity in the laboratory course, makes up 25% of the final grade. The journal has to be handed in within a given deadline. The journal has to be approved to be admitted to the digital exam. An approved lab journal is valid for the following two years.
The theoretical knowledge will be tested in a 3-hours`written exam (that has to be approved) and counts 75 % of the final grade.
Lectures: 24 hours. Laboratory exercises: 20 hours. Preparation for laboratory assignments and journal writing: 20 hours. Individual study: 86 hours.
Special requirements in Science
Type of course:
Lectures: 2 hours per week. The lecture period ends with a course summary of the required reading. A compulsory laboratory course is given in two-hour sessions 2 days a week, for 5 weeks.
An external examiner approves the examination questions, and marks 20 selected examination papers.
Allowed examination aids: C3 Alle typer kalkulatorer, alle andre hjelpemidler - inkludert digitale
Examination details: Continuous exam: A - E / F