AQX300 Applied Aquaculture
Search for other courses here
Select other year
Showing course contents for the educational year 2022 - 2023 .
Course responsible: Turid Mørkøre
Teachers: Alf-Helge Aarskog, Einar Wathne, Odd Ivar Lekang
ECTS credits: 10
Faculty: Faculty of Biosciences
Teaching language: EN
Limits of class size:
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in Spring parallel. This course has teaching/evaluation in Spring parallel.
Course frequency: Annually
First time: Study year 2021-2022
Master students Aquaculture
This course is at the intersection of biological aquaculture production and business, addressing current hot topics in Norwegian and international aquaculture within the following major areas: Sustainable aquaculture production and market, Economy and management; Business models, negotiations, decision management.
This course aims to bridge the theory-practice gap through a transdisciplinary learning, facilitating sustainability-driven entrepreneurship education. Hence encouraging your entrepreneurial spirit! You will learn how to synthesize and apply learning to given Real World Cases with mentoring from influential leaders in the aquaculture industry. In addition to gain conceptual understanding through case study approaches, you will get updated knowledge on current hot topics in the aquaculture industry, through lectures by NMBU employees and guest lecturers from the industry, management and NGO’s.
- Current hot topics in the aquaculture industry
- Major challenges in aquaculture production
- Know how to interlink theoretical and business realities
- Know how to synthesize and utilize acquired knowledge in complex real-world aquaculture cases
- Be able to tackle real-life aquaculture challenges through a business approach; incl implementation of SWOT analyses
- Problem-solving competencies; including negotiations, decision management
- Be able to present complex Real World Cases in a way that is understandable and engaging for people/colleagues within and outside the field in focus - both orally and in writing
- Be well-informed about important issues that concern the aquaculture industry after graduation, and thereby well-prepared for working life
- Deal with complex, ambiguous real-world sustainability problems; including strategic competence. Understand required competence for succeeding in sustainability driven entrepreneurship
- Basic understanding of primary success factors required for sustainable growth in the aquaculture business
The course is based on oral presentations both from lecturers at NMBU and guest lecturers. Practical exercises and good discussions will be emphasized. A main focus will be on writing a Real World Case report, with supervision. The case report will also be presented orally for the fellow students in the course, fostering mutual learning between students.
Supervision/ mentoring in connection with case studies and oral presentations
Relevant litterature and presentations will be distributed at the beginning of the course and during the course.
Bachelor degree in aquaculture/husbandry production, economy or similar
AQX251, BUS 100, AQF231, or similar
Portofolio assessment: A - E / F
Special requirements in Science
Type of course:
Lectures by NMBU employees and guest lecturers
Examination details: Portfolio: Letter grades