AOS340 Qualitative Methods
Search for other courses here
Select other year
Showing course contents for the educational year 2017 - 2018 .
Course responsible: Bernt Aarset
Teachers: Arild Wæraas
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: School of Economics and Business
Teaching language: NO
Limits of class size:
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in Autumn parallel. This course has teaching/evaluation in Autumn parallel, .
Course frequency: Annually
First time: Study year 2008-2009
M-ØA, with a profile in organization and leadership.
The course provides the students with an introduction to qualitative methods. Development of research question, design of research project (case studies and other designs), choice of method and methodology, analysis of data and possible generalization based on qualitative data are core issues in the course. The main technique to collect data will be depth interviews, but participating observation, document analysis, conversation analysis, and others will be presented. The course will provide increased understanding of research and knowledge development. Design and choice of method will be based on research question, theoretical perspectives, analysis, and the direction of the project.
- Knowledge of the characteristics of qualitative research design
- Knowledge of the use of qualitative method for collecting, analyzing and presentation of empirical material
- Establish research problems that can be answered using qualitative method
- Develop a qualitative research design
- Substantiate choice of research methods in light of research problem, theoretical perspective, analysis and project direction
- Plan and conduct interviews adapted to a qualitative research design
- Analyzing data by qualitative analysis
- Be able to assess relevant choice of methods
- Analyzing research problems where qualitative methods are applicable, and select and use appropriate theoretical and practical knowledge in the analysis
- Understand the relationships between research and knowledge
The course will be organised as a combination of lectures and group assignment.
Guidance on appointment.
Textbook with addtional papers on selected themes.
AOS240 or equivalent.
One mandatory group assignment.
The assignment is evaluated "pass" or "fail"
Approved submission is a requirement to participate in the exam.
There is no need to repeat compulsory in the event of renewed trial.
The end-of-semester assignment is graded.
The grade is determined based on the end-of-semester assignment only.
A pass on the group assignment is required to have the semester assignment evaluated.
No opportunity for renewed examination.
150 work hours.
Minimum requirements for entrance to higher education in Norway (generell studiekompetanse)
Reduction of credits:
Type of course:
One 2-hour seminar/lecture each week.
Recommend to take the course the semester before the master thesis
External censor reviews the group assignment and the semester assignment.
Examination details: Continuious Exam: A - E / Ikke bestått