Course responsible:Lars Olav Brandsæter
Campus / Online:Taught campus Ås
Teaching language:Norsk, engelsk
Nominal workload:1500 timer
Teaching and exam period:Autum parallel and Spring parallel
About this course
- The student has advanced knowledge about a specific thematic area, relevant methods and theories
The student can:
- work independently to identify and compare different sources in relation to a specific thematic area within biology
- structure the Thesis according to academic standards
- present a research topic, including choice of methods, data collection and analysis
- plan and carry out a project over a long timeframe of multiple months
- The student will have insight into the different steps in a research process, including methodical and ethical considerations
- If a fieldwork, and collection of primary data, has been completed, the student will have practical experience in comparing sources and collect data in the field, analyze and explain research results
- The student will have experience in using feedback to process their own work, and are able to critically reflect over the results of the research and the Thesis process
- Supervision: Each student is entitled to 80 hours of supervision (including the supervisor's share of the grading) for a 60 ECTS master thesis. Students sign a contract with the supervisor. The supervisory relationship is guided by the contract as well as common understandings for supervisory responsibility. Writing a research proposal is an integral part of the thesis process and its supervision. The student has a responsibility to stay in touch with the supervisor. The student submits a signed contract to the supervisor and to the study administration at the Faculty.
- It is recommended that the students actively use the courses offered by the University Library, Writing Centre and other resources available at the University.
- One written thesis and oral discussion.
- The Master thesis shall be graded by at least one external examiner and one internal examiner. The main supervisor is usually the internal examiner.
- The student must submit a signed contract to supervisor and to the study administration at the faculty before he/she can start working on his/hers thesis.
- Students at other master program at NMBU are welcome to do a thesis at BIOVIT.
- Letter grades
- Masterstudents at NMBUs master program