Course responsible:Hilde Vinje
Campus / Online:Taught campus Ås
Nominal workload:1500 hours.
Teaching and exam period:Autumn and spring parallell.
About this course
The food industry is responsible for producing healthy, safe and sustainable products.
The Master thesis consists of an original research project during the last two semesters of the study.The Master thesis can be written as a monograph or scientific article. Students receive guidance from appointed supervisor and co-supervisor(s). The guidelines shall ensure that students receive advice literature, practical advice on any data collection, and ethical guidelines. The exam consists of the submission of the thesis and an oral examination in the form of a presentation and discussion about the task. The oral examination can be used to adjust the grade on the thesis.
KNOWLEDGE: After completing the thesis, the student will be able to conduct and implement an independent research project on a selected topic.
SKILLS: Use relevant theories and research methods as a tool in research. Analyze and draw conclusions from an independent research project.
GENERAL COMPETENCE: Convey information based on the independent research project in writing and orally. Read, understand and make use of research litterature. Adhere to ethics guidelines.
- Independent work under supervision.
- The student is entitled to 80 hours of supervision totally inclusive assessment of the thesis.
- It requires a bachelor's degree in food science or equivalent.
- Written assginment and oral defense counts 100%.
- The external examiner will participate in the assessment of the thesis and an oral examination.
- Approved Master`s contract between student and supervisor (s),with detailed progressplan, to be handed in at the Faculty before the project starts.
Supervision in English on demand.
The main supervisor must be a scientific employee at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences. Co-supervisors may be employed at other universities or external research institutions / industry. Co-supervisors must be approved by the main supervisor and the responsible Faculty. The total hours of supervision are to be divided between all supervisors.
- The student work full-time with the thesis in two semesters.
- Letter grades
- The course is reserved for students who are admitted to the Masterprogramme in Food Sciene.