Course responsible:Øystein Dahl
Campus / Online:Taught campus Ås
Nominal workload:125 hours.
Teaching and exam period:This course starts in June block. This course has teaching/evaluation in June block.
About this course
The course focuses on the development and construction of models for use in common business operations. Examples are models for investment, product calculations, budgeting, cost allocation, HR-reporting.
Solid basic skills in Excel are required. Less emphasis is placed on pure Excel training, and more on the practical use of Excel to support everyday life as an economist or a controller, from data collection, processing to presentation
Thorough training is provided in look-up and reference formulas, use of offset() and indirect(), and processing of unstructured data by means of advanced structure of text formulas.
Furthermore, there will be specialization in the use of pivot tables for fast and precise data processing. We consider different types of graphs, and a combination of graphs and linking with dynamic images.
After completion of the course, students will:
- be able to handle larger amounts of data and turn them into understandable and manageable information
- be able to create models that can be effectively updated periodically
- be able to make good presentations of data
- be able to efficiently handle external information into own Excel models
- be able to use formulas effectively - focus on look-up formulas, text and logic
- know the use of macros
The lectures are given at campus.
Problem solving between the lectures with assignment support from teaching assistants.
- Exercise teachers will be available for assignment support.
- BUS133 - Excel for economists, or equivalent level. Assumes a good understanding of basic Excel.
- 3 hour exam.
- External examiner ensures the quality of the syllabus, exam assignments and principles for evaluation and answers.
Teaching for three weeks; two double lessons two days a week.
Problem solving between the lectures with assignment support from practice teacher(s).
- 5 ECTS overlap with BUS234F.
- Letter grades
- Minimum requirements for entrance to higher education in Norway (generell studiekompetanse).