Course responsible:Nicolay Andre Melsæter Worren
Campus / Online:Taught campus Ås
Limits of class size:55 participants.
Course frequency:Annually. The course is offered next time autumn 2023.
Nominal workload:250 hours
Teaching and exam period:This course is not offered in spring 2023. This course is run during the autumn parallel 2023.
About this course
- Awareness of the key challenges of leaders at different levels
- Knowledge of different approaches and perspectives in the leadership literature
- Be able to identify criteria for requirements for effective leadership and key contextual constraints
- Be able to evaluate assumptions related to key concepts/frameworks/theories, as well as identify similarities, differences and linkages across different concepts/frameworks/theories
- Be able to suggest an approach to resolve key leadership challenges (as one may encounter in practice) using course concepts (e.g., utilizing concepts, frameworks and methods from the academic literature).
- Be able to present and discuss ideas and concepts verbally to a group in an effective way
- Be able to describe and critique ideas and concepts related to this topic in writing using effective language
Other learning intentions
- Increased awareness of the importance of leadership
- Increased awareness of one's own knowledge and skill level
- Increased motivation to further develop one's own leadership skills
- increased interest in the scholarly literature in this area (and the ability to locate relevant sources for studies, methods, and tools)
A combination of methods will be utilized:
- Case discussion
- Group assignments
- Contributions from external guest lecturers
Active participation is necessary.
- Bachelor degree, and AOS130 Introduction to Organisation Theory and AOS230 Organizational Psychology or similar.
- AOS237 Business Strategy or AOS325 Contemporary Organisations or similar. It is an advantage to have work experience or experience from positions in e.g. student associations.
Portfolie Combination: Participation in class. Two group assignments. Written exam during the teaching period.
A retake exam is not organized in this course. Those who do not pass need to retake the whole course.
- External examiner review the exam.
- 2 hour lectures per week (may be extended to 3 hours). In addition, one has to set aside time for group activities.
- 5 credits overlap with AOS331.
- Letter grades
- The course is intended for master's students at NMBU.