VET350 Basic Animal Husbandry
There may be changes to the course due to to corona restrictions. See Canvas and StudentWeb for info.
Showing course contents for the educational year 2021 - 2022 .
Course responsible: Helene Ween
Teachers: Nicole Frost Nyquist, Marit Stormoen, Kari Birgit Nymoen, Dagny Nina Fjerdingby, Haakon Aaen, Mona Kristin Nordberg Philippsen, Hilde Myrvold, Erik Georg Granquist, Ane Mohn Bjelland, Camilla Kielland
ECTS credits: 4
Faculty: Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
Starts fall and continues over three semesters
Course frequency: Yearly
First time: 2021H
The course will give an introduction to the basic needs and environment of the most common domestic animals.
After the course the student should be able to:
- Describe the basic welfare needs of animals and mention important environmental factors that influence animal welfare and health
- Explain the importance of infection control
- Describe the main livestock productions / uses
- Describe feed ingredients and show an example of a ration
- Explain important events in the animal's life and draw annual or life cycles
- Mention veterinary duties in the various animal husbandries
- Apply biosecurity measures
- Handle animals and equipment safely
- Make simple observations of the animals and their environment and reflect on the importance for welfare and health
- Act professionally as a veterinary student
- Show respect for animals and their owners
- Follow guidelines on campus and other sites
- Be active and collaborate with other students
Mandatory activities are morning duties, rotations and the assignment for "My cow" In the absence of morning duties and rotations, the student must organize a similar visit and submit a short report according to template
Husbandry practice (4 weeks)
There is no written exam in the subject.
- Mandatory attendance at morning duties and rotations
- Mandatory assignments on the rotation days and hand-in assignments for "My cow"
- Student evaluation form for the rotations (behavior, collaboration skills, handling animals and practical biosecurity measures are evaluated)
- Mandatory attendance at husbandry practice
Examination details: Langsgående vurdering: Passed / Failed