THT310 Water & Wastewater Treatment: Advanced course
There may be changes to the course due to to corona restrictions. See Canvas and StudentWeb for info.
Showing course contents for the educational year 2021 - 2022 .
Course responsible: Harsha Chandima Ratnaweera
Teachers: Nazli Pelin Kocatürk Schumacher, Arve Heistad, Vegard Nilsen, John Morken, Zakhar Maletskyi, Zakhar Maletskyi
ECTS credits: 15
Faculty: Faculty of Science and Technology
Teaching language: EN
Limits of class size:
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in Autumn parallel. This course has teaching/evaluation in Autumn parallel, .
Course frequency: Annually
First time: 2009H
1. students who have the course as mandatory in their study plan
2. students on the following study programmes: M-VM and M-IØ
3. students with most ECTS credits
It there are not enough slots in group one the students will be ranked by their ECTS credits.
This course prepares candidates to develop advanced knowledge of water and wastewater treatment technologies, including design basics. Based on THT 271 and THT280, this course provides breadth and depth of knowledge and conceptual skills that allow graduates to function as designers. This course has a substantial part in engineering calculations. The course will address both water and wastewater treatment.
- Coagulation and flocculation
- Membrane separation
- Biogas production
- Design of treatment facilities
- Upgrading of treatment facilities
- Resources recovery and reuse
- Process surveillance
- Process optimisation and control
- Digitalisation of the utilities
In this course, you will be working on designing treatment processes and technological units. You will be able to follow-up case-studies, for example, developed in the course assignment for THT 271.
At the completion of this course, candidates will be able to:
- recognise the design principles of water and wastewater treatment technologies
- explain the physical and chemical basis of water and wastewater treatment processes and technological equipment
- identify calculation principles of technological equipment
- perform basic design calculations of water and wastewater treatment processes and equipment
- analyse water and wastewater treatment flowsheets
- categorise water and wastewater treatment equipment
- critique water and wastewater treatment technologies
- design water and wastewater treatment technologies and equipment
(1) Lectures (2) Term papers presented in plenary session for all students, (3) Tutorials with process simulation programs, (4) excursion to treatment plant(s) to learn how the unit processes are integrated and their operational challenges. Most of the presentations will be available in Canvas before the lectures.
By email and pre-agreed meetings with the lecturers.
- Lectures and notes in Canvas
Water and wastewater technology (currently only in Norwegian, published by Norwegian Water), 2012
Wastewater Engineering: Treatment and Reuse, 5th Edition, by Metcalf and Eddy, Inc, 2013 (selected sections)
Water Treatment: Principles and Design, 3rd Edition, MWH, 2012 (selected sections) Selected publications and handouts
THT280 and THT271.
THT261 and THT201
Term-paper(s), simulation exercises and excursions to treatment plant(s) and presentations in the plenum.
Written examination counts for 60%, term papers count for 40%: Written exams may include both MCQ and individual questions.
For a course of 15 credits, ca. 375 hours of work is anticipated. Thus 10-15 hours/week of self-studies should be expected.
Special requirements in Science
Reduction of credits:
No overlap from 2022
Type of course:
Lectures: approx. 50-70 hours excursion 6 hours Term-papers, exercises, presentations and discussion of exercises.
The external examiner approves plans for the project work and its assessment. The external examiner will assess all examinations. The examiner actively assures the quality of the course content and teaching.
Allowed examination aids: A1 No calculator, no other aids
Examination details: Combined assessment: A - E / F