PPVE210 Counselling 2
Showing course contents for the educational year 2021 - 2022 .
Course responsible: Solveig Strangstadstuen
Teachers: Knut Omholt, Sigrid Marie Gjøtterud, Hans Erik Lefdal
ECTS credits: 15
Faculty: Faculty of Science and Technology
Teaching language: NO
Limits of class size:
Minimum 10 and maximum 24 participants.
Teaching exam periods:
The course has teaching and assessment in the spring semester.
Course frequency: Once a year.
First time: Study year 2020-2021
Teachers in the school who have supervision assignments for teacher students and newly qualified teachers.
Target group: Teachers who are supervisors for the newly appointed teachers.
As part of the strategy 'Teacher education 2025', the Parliament in Norway made the following decision in 2017: «The Parliamient asks the government in collaboration with the parties to formulate a national framework for a guidance scheme for newly appointed teachers which ensures that all new employees are covered by the scheme.»
The Ministry has prepared: "Principles and obligations for the supervision of newly qualified and appointed teachers in kindergarten and school." See: https://www.nyutdannede.no/media/1212/veiledning-av-nyutdannede-nytilsatte-larere-i-barnehage-og-skole.pdf (read 21.02.2021).
The course will contribute to competence development for supervisors for newly appointed teachers. The newly graduated must be included in and be able to be a resource in the professional community. The responsibility for taking care of newly appointed teachers in a good way lies locally with the employer (cf. the Working Environment Act § 4-2, the Education Act § 10-8 and the Free Schools Act § 5-2 second paragraph letter i).
- has knowledge of how the professional teacher identity is developed through social interaction, experience and structural changes
- have insight into the newly appointed teachers' qualifications and how they can be included as a resource and contributor in the professional community
- has knowledge of guidance, its strategies and skills, and how these can contribute to the development and learning of the newly appointed teachers
- has insight into how to integrate and express both the professional, relational and emotional in the guidance conversation.
- can, based on the the newly appointed's needs and goals, initiate and include them in the school's mandate and organization, and in the teacher's tasks and responsibilities in the professional community
- can in a systematic way plan, implement, observe and critically reflect on the course of supervision together with the newly appointed teachers individually and in a group
- can recognize and show respect for the newly appointed teachers, and can express the power one has as a colleague and supervisor in the dialogue with them (s)
- can contribute to the newly appointed teachers' participating in collaboration with colleagues and students and facilitate reflection on change measures in teaching and school development
- can take the initiative to collaborate on ethical reflection and judgment in dialogue with the newly appointed teachers and the college.
- can reflect on and act on the basis of ethical professional guidance.
- can respect the competence of others and recognize the limits of their own competence as a supervisor and teacher
- can further develop in the college and indivdually further develop her/his professional guidance, by reflecting critically on her/his own guidance together with the graduate (s) and with support in the literature of the profession.
In gatherings on campus: Lectures. Exercises with reflection.
In school: Guide the newly appointed teacher (s), document experiences and make reflections with support in professional literature and guidelines for the mentoring scheme for recent graduates.
The student is supervised in supervision exercises in the sessions and in the compulsory activities.
Compulsory literature in the subject is presented in the first gathering. Furthermore, the individual student designs self-selected literature based on her/his own needs and the purpose of the study. Self-selected literature is approved by the course coordinator.
Completed teacher education and experience as a teacher. It is a prerequisite that the student during the study has / has had a newly qualified teacher, or a teacher student, to supervise.
Teacher education. Is employed at the school as a teacher.
Three written, individual logs on guiding. Assessment: Approved / Not approved.
Individual, written reflection assignment.
Grade: Passed/Not passed.
25 hours per credits.
Teacher education and experience as a teacher.
Reduction of credits:
Type of course:
Lectures and work in groups in the three sessions of 2 days on campus. Supervision practice in school. Reading and writing between gatherings. Participation in writing and response groups.
An external examiner approves the examination scheme and censors the reflection note.
Examination details: Assignment: Passed / Not Passed