PPRA301 Teaching Practice - LUR
Showing course contents for the educational year starting in 2016 .
Course responsible: Hans Erik Lefdal
Teachers: Gerd Eli Johansen, Torger Gillebo, Solveig Strangstadstuen, Bente Klevenberg, Astrid Tonette Sinnes, Birgitte Bjønness, Nina Elisabeth Arnesen
ECTS credits: 0
Faculty: Faculty of Science and Technology
Teaching language: NO
Limits of class size:
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in August block. This course has teaching/evaluation in August block, Autumn parallel, January block, Spring parallel, June block,
Course frequency: Annually
First time: 2007V
Only students taking LUR.
The course consists of 100 days of supervised teaching practice. These days are preferably distributed 10 - 15 days year1, 10 days year 2, 15 days year 3, and 60 - 65 days year 4. Students who have not had practice in year 2 and 3, take 85 days in year 4. For each lesson the students shall plan, execute and evaluate their teaching practice in cooperation with the supervisors. Teaching practice shall be divided into periods throughout the study, and it is desired that the teacher training practice takes place in the same class over a long period. All teaching practice shall be planned and approved. During the practice, the student will be supervised by teachers from the teacher-training department, NMBU, up to two times. During the supervision, the students' development as teachers shall be revealed, in addition to mutual information between the school and the teacher-training department about organisation and supervision.
A candidate who has completed the education will have achieved the following learning outcomes, defined as knowledge, skills and general competence:
- has thorough subject-/yrkesdidaktisk and pedagogical knowledge aimed at level 8 - 13
- has well founded understanding of the schools mandate, the educational core values and the full course of training
- has thorough knowledge about and manage to stay updated on current legislations and curricula for the teaching profession
- has well founded knowledge about the youth culture, and youths development and learning in different social and cultural contexts
- has broad knowledge about learning strategies, learning arenas and working methods related to the distinctive character of the subject
- is able to plan, implement and evaluate teaching based on research and experienced-based knowledge
- can direct interdisciplinary learning processes related to complex problems
- can direct and facilitate teaching sequences leading to good professional and social learning processes
- can use a variety of working methods, differentiate and adapt education in accordance with the current curriculum, and create motivating and inclusive learning environments
- can describe features of competence, assess and document students learning, provide formative assessment and contribute to the students reflecting over their own learning
- can critically assess the societal role and values of school, and realise this in own teaching
- can with a large degree of independence develop further their own competence and contribute to development of both colleagues and the school
- can critically reflect on professional, ethical and political questions, especially related to education for sustainable development
- can communicate pedagogical and subject-/vocational education problems on an advanced level
- can build relations to students, parents and other caretakers, and collaborate with colleagues and actors who are relevant for the educational system
- can stimulate reflection and collaboration and the development of teaching and learning in real work situations.
A plan for each period of practice before the end of the first week, and a report just after the period is finished are to be submitted each term. The teacher student also prepares plans for each lesson, and these plans are, together with experiencing in executing the plans, the ground for supervision.
The teacher student is supervised by an approved teacher in school and by consulting and visit from the teacher-training department.
An overview of course literature will be distributed. The literature shall contain:Guideline and regulations for five year integrated TE.Curriculum for practical pedagogical education.Curriculum for primary and secondary school, upper secondary school and adult education.Teaching laws with regulations. - Information for the supervisors in school.
The course requires competence in teaching in science (natural science, biology, physics, chemistry, mathematics, geoscience) and PPXP100 approved.
A plan for each period of practice before the end of the first week, and a report just after the period is finished are to be submittet each term.The teacher students also write logs during the course.
Teaching practice lasts for 60- 85 days altogether, dependant on practice in PPRA200 and PPRA201 or not, as an integrated part of the study. The supervisors/practice school have the main responsibility for evaluating the teaching practice period, while the teacher-training department is responsible for the total final assessment. Every teacher practice periods must be approved in order to get the final grade "Passed". A practice period is defined as the teaching practice the students get at a certain location for one semester. If a student fails a practice period, he/she has only one more opportunity to complete the period.
The course consists 10 guided teaching hours per week. It also includes preparation for the practice period and the writing of a plan, report and reflection note. The workload is equivalent to a full-time teaching position.
Special requirements in Science
Type of course:
The course consists of 60-85 days guided practical training. Time for individual guidance shall comprise 10 teaching hours per week.
External examiners are the supervisors and the management at school where the students have the practice period. The supervisors grade each period passed/failed. The course responsible decides the final grade of the course based on these assessments. Through practical training, a continuous assessment of suitability is performed.
Examination details: Continuous exam: Bestått / Ikke bestått