MVI340 Sensory and Consumer Science
Showing course contents for the educational year 2017 - 2018 .
Course responsible: Valerie Isabelle Lengard Almli
Teachers: Paula Varela-Tomasco
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: Faculty of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science
Teaching language: EN, NO
Limits of class size:
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in the June block. This course has teaching/evaluation in the June block.
Course frequency: <p>Other.</p><p>Depending on the Department's resourses.</p>
First time: Study year 2012-2013
- Brief introduction to anatomy and physiologi related to sensory science
- Introduction to the use of sensory analysis in research and industry
- Sensory methods and reporting of sensory results
- Instrumental measurements correlated to sensory quality
- Qualitative and quantitative methods for consumer testing
- Statistics and multivariate analysis of sensory data
- Segmentation of consumers, factors that influence perception and preferences for food as well as general consumer understanding
The students will be able to conduct sensory tests and consumer tests and also analyse and interpret the results from these tests. The students should also be able to collect, analyse and interpret relevant literature, to be able to discuss and answer essential problems/questions on sensory analysis and consumer research.
Lectures, seminars, group work and independent study. An introduction to the topics will be given through lectures and group work as well as presentations/discussions in seminars with the course responsible present.
Harry T. Lawless and Hildegarde Heymann: Sensory Evaluation of Food, Springer, ISSN 1572-0330, 2010.
Knowledge of sensory analysis equal to MVI240, as well as knowledge of statistics corresponding to STAT100.
Knowledge of raw materials and technology in Food Science.
Group work and seminars.
One week home exam, handed in as a written report on a given topic. Counts 100%
Totally 150 hours. About 40 hours lectures, 20 hours seminars/groupwork, 90 hours self-study including home exam.
Special requirements in Science
Type of course:
Three weeks` intensive course. About 40 hours lectures, 20 hours seminars/groupwork over three weeks.
An external examiner evaluates the written report.
Examination details: Continuous exam: A - E / Ikke bestått