M30-AA Master's Thesis
Showing course contents for the educational year 2021 - 2022 .
Course responsible: Turid Mørkøre
ECTS credits: 30
Faculty: Faculty of Biosciences
Teaching language: EN, NO
Teaching exam periods:
Autumn parallel and Spring parallel.
Course frequency: Annually
First time: Study year 2014-2015
Students are required to write a master thesis/dissertation on a topic within the field of aquaculture. The research proposal must be discussed and approved by with the student's supervisor. The master thesis is an independent academic work. Independent gathering and analysis of sources (primary and/or secondary) are key elements of the dissertation. The student may also conduct fieldwork. The student is supervised in developing a research proposal.
- The student has advanced knowledge about a specific thematic area, relevant methods and theories
The student can:
- work independently to identify and compare different sources in relation to a specific thematic area within aquaculture
- structure the Thesis according to academic standards
- present a research topic, including choice of methods, data collection and analysis
- plan and carry out a project over a long timeframe of multiple months
- The student will have insight into the different steps in a research process, including methodical and ethical considerations
- If a fieldwork, and collection of primary data, has been completed, the student will have practical experience in comparing sources and collect data in the field, analyze and explain research results
- The student will have experience in using feedback to process their own work, and are able to critically reflect over the results of the research and the Thesis process
Supervision: Each student is entitled to 40 hours of supervision (including the supervisor's share of the marking) for a 30 ECTS master thesis.
It is recommended that the students actively use the courses that the University Library, Writing Centre and other resources that the University offers.
Relevant literature will be identified through a review process guided by the supervisor
Solid knowledge within the subject of the thesis
The student must submit a signed contract to the study administration at the faculty before he/her can start working on his/hers thesis.
One written thesis and oral discussion.
Masterstudents at NMBUs master program
Students at other master program at NMBU are welcome to do a thesis at IHA.
The degree thesis shall be graded by at least one external examiner and one internal examiner. The main supervisor is usually the internal examiner.
Examination details: Term paper: Letter grades