IND200 Practical Project Management
Check for course changes due to the coronavirus outbreak on Canvas and StudentWeb.
Showing course contents for the educational year starting in 2019 .
Course responsible: Asmamaw Tadege Shiferaw
Teachers: Arnstein Moe
ECTS credits: 10
Faculty: Faculty of Science and Technology
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in Autumn parallel. This course has teaching/evaluation in Autumn parallel, .
Course frequency: Annually
First time: 2012H
The subject is a modern project management course based on the national project governance regime for quality assurance of public investment projects, and the platforms of PMI and IPMA for Project management and governance.
1. Project development in the early phase. The main topics:
- The conceptual framework, project phase models. the value perspective
- Project concept development, need assessment, project objectives and strategies, alternative analysis and evaluation criteria.
- Uncertainty management during project concept development and choice of concept.
The focus is on developing and section of the right project concepts, and delivering high value projects.
2. Projects in the planning and implementation phases. The main topics:
- Concepts, project management parameters
- Project planning, project organizing, project work breakdown structure (WBS), cost estimating, scheduling, procurement and contract strategy, communication and uncertainty management.
- Project progress follow up, status reporting, forecasting time and cost, and project value
Practical project examples are part of the lecture series.
The course provides basic skill for managing and governing of projects at the different phases of the project development process. The candidate will get knowledge on the methods and procedures that are used to evaluate alternative project concepts. Project examples will be presented to give students better understanding of the theory that are discussed during the lecture hours.
The course will give basis for PMI and IPMA certification.
The course is based on internal and external knowledge and experience in project implementation and management. Practical examples in combination with theory will be emphasized. Student teams conducts several case that relate to the themes of the lecture. The teamwork is also used for practical training on project work where evaluation of the process is an important element.
1. Selected reports from Concept Research Programme.
2. Bo Tonnquist (2016). Project Management - A Guide to the Theory and Practice of Project Methodology and Agile Methods. 542 pages
Participation in the assignment is mandatory.
Mandatory assignment counts f or 40 % and written exam 60 %. The final exam lasts 3 hours.
A course of 10 credits normally requires 300 hours of work
Minimum requirements for entrance to higher education in Norway (generell studiekompetanse)
Type of course:
2 lectures (2 hours per lecture) and 2 hours of exercise per week.
External examiner participates together with ineranl examiner in the design of the exam questions.
Allowed examination aids: B1 Calculator handed out, no other aids
Examination details: Continuous exam: A - E / F