HFA200 General Animal Breeding
Search for other courses here
Select other year
Showing course contents for the educational year 2022 - 2023 .
Course responsible: Bjørg Heringstad, Cathrine Brekke
Teachers: Peer Berg, Morten Lillemo, Gunnar Klemetsdal, Theodorus Hendrikus Elisabeth Meuwissen
ECTS credits: 10
Faculty: Faculty of Biosciences
Teaching language: NO
Limits of class size:
Teaching exam periods:
Course frequency: Annually
First time: Study year 2004-2005
This course provides a thorough introduction to animal breeding and quantitative genetics, and a brief introduction to plant breeding. Topics which will be covered are recording of phenotypes, kinship and inbreeding, the genetic model, genetic parameters, breeding values, heterosis, breeding plans and practical breeding programs.
- Describe why registrations are important in breeding
- Describe how relationship and inbreeding are calculated
- Describe the elements on the genetic model and how breeding values are estimated
- Describe the factors contributing to genetic changes (Breeder’s Equation)
- Describe the breeding program for the most common species
- Describe the difference between animal and plant breeding programs
- Calculate relationship and inbreeding
- Estimate genetic parameters and breeding values for simple examples
- Estimate heterosis and predict genetic change
- Explain the theoretical prerequisite for genetic change
- Assess the effect of different measures taken for a population
Lectures, mandatory assignments and group work.
Canvas, class discussions, tutoring with assignments, chat in Canvas and responses to questions in class.
Textbook Animal Breeding and Genetics for BSc students. 2015. Kor Oldenbroek and Liesbeth van der Waaij.
Basic knowledge of animal breeding (e.g. HFX132), statistics, equivalent to STAT100 and genetics, equivalent to BIO120.
Group assignment (presentation and report)
Written exam (3 hours). A-F.
Special requirements in Science
Reduction of credits:
50% overlap with BIO248
Type of course:
4 lectures per week, plus assignments.
An external examiner assesses the written examination.
Allowed examination aids: C2 All types of calculators, all other written aids
Examination details: One written exam: Letter grades