FHV320 Epidemiology and geographical information systems
Showing course contents for the educational year 2016 - 2017 .
Course responsible: Geir Aamodt
Teachers: Bente Bruvoll, Håvard Tveite
ECTS credits: 15
Faculty: Faculty of Landscape and Society
Teaching language: NO
Limits of class size:
The course will be held only with a minimum of 5 students.
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in January block. This course has teaching/evaluation in January block, Spring parallel.
Course frequency: Annually.
First time: Study year 2015-2016
M-FOL / M-FOL-DEL
Basic principles in epidemiology, Fundamentals of demography, Study designs in epidemiology, Evaluation/assessment of epidemiological information, Geographical Information Systems (GIS) as a general working tool in geographical analyses, GIS as a tool in spatial epidemiology, GIS as a planning tool in public health, Case studies with use of statistical software(s) and GIS, Ethical considerations in epidemiologigal studies.
After the course, the student should
- have a basic knowledge in epidemiology as a field, its study designs and demigraphics
- be able to perform simple epidemiological studies with different design
- know the sources and validity of the most commonly used databases and know how to connect it to information on demographics, exposure and health outcomes
- know theories, limitations and practical use of GIS, spatial data anlysis and how to use the tool in practical work
- know different areas where GIS is applied
- be able to perform spatial epidemiological analysis, visualize the findings on maps and graphs
- be able to read and evaluate the contents in epidemiological reports
- be able to discuss ethics within epidemiology.
Lectures, seminars and GIS exercises in computer lab and training in epidemiological problem solving.
Teachers will be at hand at lectures and exercises. Other times by appointment. Fronter will be a communication platform.
Course book in epidemiology and GIS
UMB-VIT/MAFOLK4100 (HiOA) and UMB-FORSK/MAFOLK4000 (HiOA), or STAT100 or equivalent.
GIS exercises. Compulsory elements.
Final written exam
Minimum requirements for entrance to higher education in Norway (generell studiekompetanse).
Reduction of credits:
Basic GIS course (LAD102/GMGI101), 5 credits.
Completely overlapping with FHV220.
Type of course:
The course consists of 5 gatherings. Three days per gathering. The second gathering is GIS.
A practical introduction to GIS (Geographical Information Systems) is included in this course. The GIS part is estimated to 150 hours of work (5 credits), and starts with three days of lectures and supervised computer exercises. The rest of the computer exercises will be done in groups of two students each.
The external examiner shall evaluate and approve the curriculum, the teaching and the evaluation arrangements of the course.
Allowed examination aids: All types of calculators, all other aids.
Examination details: One written exam: A - E / Ikke bestått