DYR210 Research Methodology, Statistics and Scientific Writing
Showing course contents for the educational year 2022 - 2023 .
Course responsible: Ingrid Toftaker
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
See semester schedule
Course frequency: Annually, 3 weeks
First time: Study year 2016-2017
The teaching will include practical and scientific methods to provide a basis that ensures a good start and helps students carry out a bachelor-project in animal nursing at the NMBU Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.
- Scientific authorship: principles and practical assignments.
- Scientific method: study design and planning of scientific studies, with special emphazisis on systematic litterature reviews. Critical appraisal of scientific articles.
- Scientific literature: literature search and use of reference tools. Introduction to evidence based veterinary medicine
- Epidemiology: Main sources of bias. Measures of association and disease frequency.
- Statistics: Principles for descriptive statistics and basic statistical analysis
After completing the course, the student should:
Have sufficient knowledge of scientific methods in order to be able to complete a bachelor in animal nursing at NMBU Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. Acquire a basic understanding of scientific research, and be able to:
- Make an outline (Word-file) of the bachelor thesis based on a standard template
- Be able to explain the main types of study design, with knowledge of litterature reviews in particular
- Knowledge on how to use descriptive statistics and be able to interpret results form simple statistical analysis
- Be able to use of EndNote for citations and bibliography
- Understand the importance of critical reading of scientific articles
- Know the most common sources of bias
- Know common measures of disease frequency and measures of association used in epidemiology
Lectures, quiz, exercises and assignments
Start drafting the Bachelor thesis.
Plenary presentations (available on Canvas)Group assignements (available on Canvas)Scientific papers and other teaching material are available on Canvas Template file for Bachelor thesis (available on Canvas)Suggested reference book in statistics: Statistikk for helse- og sosialfagene, Arild Bjørndal og Dag Hofoss
- MATH100 or corresponding background
- The students should formulate a specific aim for their thesis before the course.
Presence at lectures is voluntary. Some exercises and presentations are compulsory. Details will be given at Canvas.
- Passed exam (multiple choice) on the last day of the course.
- Uploaded and approved study protocol and structure of the Bachelor thesis.
- If the student do not pass the test it will need to be repeated and passed within three weeks or in conjunction with the course the following semester.
One ECTS is based on 30 hours of student work. The course corresponds to a total of 150 hours work.
- Lectures (35 hours)
- Follow-up of lectures (20 hours)
- Work on assignments and group discussions (40 hours)
- Work with the bachelor thesis (35 hours)
- Prepare for course test (20 hours)
Type of course:
Details are found on Canvas
- Students are asked to bring their own laptop
A sensor is a mandatory part of quality assurance system for the test used.
Examination details: KIFO course: Passed / Not Passed