BUS322 Financial Investment and Risk Management
Check for course changes due to the coronavirus outbreak on Canvas and StudentWeb.
Showing course contents for the educational year starting in 2020 .
Course responsible: Torun Fretheim
Teachers: Ole Gjølberg
ECTS credits: 10
Faculty: School of Economics and Business
Teaching language: EN
Limits of class size:
Teaching exam periods:
The course is taught and examination takes place in the autumn parallel only.
Course frequency: Annually.
First time: 2009V
This course covers key topics and issues within financial market analysis and financial risk management. Throughout this course, the students will acquire knowledge of modern financial markets and asset management as regards risk and return in financial market investments, portfolio optimization, evaluation of investment management and risk management. Financial decisions must now also increasingly factor in sustainability considerations for ongoing commercial and societal success, and we will visit the environmental, social and governance (ESG) dimensions of finance problems.
Our purpose is to acquire practical business skills that may be applied within financial market analysis and financial risk management. The teaching is based on a mixture of traditional lectures, guest lectures, and classes where the students solve practical exercises in Excel.
Upon successful completion of the course the student:
- Should understand the principles of pricing and valuation in financial markets
- Should know portfolio theory and its relation to the capital asset pricing model (CAPM)
- Should understand the underlying principles of asset allocation and strategies, and evaluation of fund performance and risk management
- Should be able to apply the theories and models on practical problems that are relevant to finance professionals
- Should be well familiar with downloading data from databases such as Refinitiv Datastream and other databases, as well as solving optimization problems and carry out analysis of investments and markets in Excel
- Should be able to identify the ESG dimensions of finance problems
- Should be well conversant with the concepts, terms and issues in finance, and have a solid understanding of how financial markets function and how risk is measured and managed
The course will consist of a mix of traditional lectures and classes with practical exercises. Students are expected to bring their laptops to class and become familiar with computer software for financial analysis and investments. The students should also closely follow the financial and commodity markets (stocks, options, futures, interests, currencies).
Course information, data for analysis, software etc will be posted in Canvas. The students will get access to Refinitiv Datastream and are expected to use this data base throughout the course.
Bodie, Kane and Marcus, Investments. Distributed materials and web sites.
BUS220 or equivalent, statistics/econometrics, microeconomics. High level of competence in Excel.
Financial accounting, cost accounting, operation analysis.
Three assignments accepted in order to present oneself for final exam. Accepted assignments are valid for one year.
30 hours home exam (counts 100 % of the total grade): Individual analysis of a given case. A retake exam is not organized in this course.
The course is for students enrolled in the following study programs: Master in Business and Administration, Master in Economics, Master in Industrial Engineering and Management or equivalent. It is also open for single course students with satisfactory competence. Contact student advisors for more information.
Reduction of credits:
Type of course:
Normally 4 hours per week, however it may be necessary to run some more extensive modules.
The course is in English if there are one or more international students. Incoming students can contact student advisors at the School of Economics and Business (email@example.com) for admission to the course.
External examiner will control the quality of syllabus, questions for the final examination, and principles for the assessment of the examination answers.
Examination details: Continuous exam: A - E / F