BUS240 Operations Management
Showing course contents for the educational year 2020 - 2021 .
Course responsible: Karl Jens Fredrik Bengtsson
Teachers: Stein Erik Grønland
ECTS credits: 10
Faculty: School of Economics and Business
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in Autumn parallel. This course has teaching/evaluation in Autumn parallel.
Course frequency: Annually
First time: Study year 2003-2004
Operations management. The strategic role and objectives of operation. Process design and product design. Supply network design. Layout and flow. Process technology. Job design and work organisation. Capacity planning and control. Inventory planning and control. Supply chain planning and control. ERP, Lean operations and Just-In-Time. Project planning and control. Total quality management. Operations improvement. Failure prevention and recovery.
- Can explain the concept and scope of operations management.
- Can explain the relationship between business strategy, operations strategy, and operations performance.
- Can identify the processes needed to develop a new product from identifying the customer needs to delivering the final product.
- Can identify the pillars of Lean manufacturing, such as Just-In-Time and Total Quality Management.
- Can explain the basic concepts of Supply Chain Management.
- Understands the basic principles and tools used to improve operations performance.
- Can apply a range of methods for improving the effectiveness and efficiency of operations.
- Can apply basic inventory management models to trade off different cost factors such as setup costs and holding costs.
Lectures (classroom) and digital lectures. Digitally supported task solution.
Stein Erik Grønland: Logistikkledelse (5. utg., Cappelen Damm Akademisk, 2017).
Final written home examination weights 100%. Duration: 3 hours.
Minimum requirements for entrance to higher education in Norway (generell studiekompetanse)
Type of course:
External examiner will control the quality of syllabus, questions for the final examination, and principles for the assessment of the examination answers.
Examination details: :