BIO320 Develompental Biology
Check for course changes due to the coronavirus outbreak on Canvas and StudentWeb.
Showing course contents for the educational year starting in 2016 .
Course responsible: Hilde-Gunn Opsahl Sorteberg
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: Faculty of Biosciences
Teaching language: EN, NO
Limits of class size:
Minimum 5 students.
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in Spring parallel. This course has teaching/evaluation in Spring parallel.
Course frequency: Odd years.
First time: 2005V
Examples of model organisms in development biology are covered, with emphasis on fruit fly, C elegans, Arabidopsis and stem cell regulation. Principles of development and the significance of genetic regulation are illustrated by examples. The students will write a paper of the students" own chioce, where they go in-depth into a particular area (project title selected in collaboration with teacher), make the course up-to-date and varied through the use of recent primary research articles.
Understanding advanced gene regulation underlying the specification of different cell types in multicellular organisms. Students are to gain insight into recent research in the field of model organisms such as the fruit fly and Arabidopsis. The students are to gain a deeper understanding of one topic in development biology through the title/topic for the semester assignments. Another aim is for students to be able to develop an understanding of choice of methods and research approaches used to solve problems and questions in developmental biology.
Lectures, semester assignments and colloquia.
Selected chapters/publications: (1). Taiz and Zeiger - Plant Physiology.(2). Buchanan et al. - Biochemistry and Molecular Biology of Plants. (3). Leyser and Day. Mechanisms in Plant Development.(4). Wolpert et al. Principles of Development. (5) Primary Scientific Literature. Buy 1 and 3. Rest: handouts.
BIO220/BIO200 or equivalent.
A general understanding of how genes are used, regulated and function is helpful, and so are general understanding of research, hypothesis testing and mutant studies.
Presentation of own term paper and the presentations of the others term paper (students shall be attending at least 70% of the presentations)
The semester assignments make up 40% of the grade, while the oral examination (ca. 25 minutes) makes up the other 60%. Both parts must be passed.
Special requirements in Science
Type of course:
16 lectures, writing and presentation of own semester assignment, and attendance at the presentations of the other semester assignments
An external examiner evaluates the oral examinations.
Examination details: Continuous exam: A - E / Ikke bestått