BIO223 Evolutionary Biology
Showing course contents for the educational year 2022 - 2023 .
Course responsible: Simen Rød Sandve
ECTS credits: 10
Faculty: Faculty of Biosciences
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
This course has teaching/evaluation in Spring parallel.
Course frequency: Annually
First time: Study year 2018-2019
Topics covered through lectures, group work, and exercises:
- Theoretical modell for how the evolutinoary forces, selection, drift, gene flow and mutation, drive genetic changes in populations and species.
- How we can use genetic markers to study evolution of populations and species: genetic basis for local adaptations, adaptive evolution of protein coding genes, population divergence
- Life history strategies and fitness
- Speciation theory
- Genome evolution: size and content
- Evolution and developmental biology
- can describe basic theory on how genetic variation is shaped by the four evolutionary forces: mutation, selection, drift, and gene flow
- can describe how the evolutionary forces work together and result in biologic variation, including natural adaptation, both within and between species
- can describe how genetic data can be used to study evolutionary and ecological questions
- can use the above-mentioned theoretical knowledge to interpret genetic and/or other biological data in the context of evolutionary biology
- can carry out simple analyses of DNA-sequence data, like constructing multiple sequence alignments and estimating phylogenetic trees
- solid theoretical knowledge to do master-level courses within population genetics, molecular evolution, breeding, ecology, and nature management
Lectures, compulsory group work, and student presentations.
Futuyma, 2017. Evolution. 4th Ed. Sinauer Ass. Inc. There could also be additional curriculum made available for certain topics.
Group work with compulsory supervision resulting in a written report.
Written examination, 3 hours, counts 100%. Compulsory assignments/group work must be approced before examination.
Special requirements in Science
Type of course:
A combination of group work and lectures.
Allowed examination aids: B1 Calculator handed out, no other aids
Examination details: Written exam: Letter grades