BIO210 Molecular Biology
Search for other courses here
Select other year
Showing course contents for the educational year 2018 - 2019 .
Course responsible: Bao Dung Diep
ECTS credits: 10
Faculty: Faculty of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science
Teaching language: NO
Limits of class size:
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in Autumn parallel. This course has teaching/evaluation in Autumn parallel.
Course frequency: Annually.
First time: Study year 2004-2005
- DNA's structure and organisation in the cell.
- DNA replication, recombination and reparation.
- Transcription and protein synthesis.
- Transposons and bacteriophages.
- Structures of operones, promoters, activators, repressors.
- Response elements, enhancers and intron-exon concepts.
- DNA binding motives in proteins.
- Functional, small RNA molecules.
A thorough understanding of DNA synthesis (replication, recombination and reparation), RNA synthesis and protein synthesis. A basic molecular biological understanding of gene regulation. It is important that the students understand the following model systems for gene regulation:
- The lactose operon
- Regulation of the tryptophan operon
- The lambda bacteriophage
- Catabolic repression
A basic understanding of protein-DNA interaction in gene regulation is important. Both bacterial and eukaryote systems will be elucidated, with main emphasis on bacteria.
The teacher has designated office hours for consultation.
Given in the first lecture.
- Cell Biology equivalent to BIO100.
- Microbiology equivalent to BIO130.
The lectures are not compulsory but students are highly recommended to participate.
3.5 hour written exam, counts 100 %.
- Lectures: 46 hours.
- Seminars and preparations: 24 hours.
- Individual study: 230 hours.
Special requirements in Science.
Type of course:
2x2 hrs lecture per week. 2 hrs colloquium per week.
Students must pass the exam in this course (or equivalent) to get admission to course "BIO211 Laboratory course in molecular biology".
An external examiner approves the examination tasks and grades a minimum of 25 selected exam papers.
Allowed examination aids: A1 No calculator, no other aids
Examination details: One written exam: A - E / Ikke bestått