BIO140 Introduction to Biology
Showing course contents for the educational year 2022 - 2023 .
Course responsible: Simen Rød Sandve
Teachers: Siri Fjellheim, Geir Mathiesen, Else Marie Aasen
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: Faculty of Biosciences
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in August block. This course has teaching/evaluation in August block.
Course frequency: Annually
First time: Study year 2007-2008
The subject Biology will be illuminated through lectures, field and laboratoy assignments and visits to small and medium-sized businesses based on biological know-how. The students have to write reports and give presentations. An introduction to ICT and library is offered.
- knowledge about biology research at NMBU
- overview of NMBU’s rules regarding plagiarism
- overview of NMBU-services, for example student counceling and student health services, which could be of help for NMBU-students through their study program
- insights into the types of jobs it is possible to get with a biology degree
- become familiarized with fellow students and lecturers
- can use the university- and university library ICT-systems
- can use basic ICT-tools like word and power point to write lab-reports and design posters for oral presentations
- basic skills in oral presentations
- can conduct basic experiments in the laboratory and in the field
- experience with being a student at NMBU
- ability to find relevant information and help to succeed as a student at NMBU
LecturesConducting laboratory- and field experimentsExcursionUse of ICT-tools to design a scientific poster Written reports from lab- and field experimentsOral presentation of a poster
The curriculum is announced on the first day of lectures.
Field and laboratory work and field trips with reports. The studets shall make and present a poster. All activities are compulsory.
Evaluation through laboratory and field reports, the making of a poster and the oral presentation of the poster. Both reports, the poster and the presentation must be approved before a passing grade is given.
Minimum requirements for entrance to higher education in Norway (generell studiekompetanse)
Reduction of credits:
BIO101, MINA100, PJH102, NATF100 and SKOG100 will be reduced with 3 ECTS
Type of course:
12 lectures, ca 40 hours excursion, laboratory and field trips.
An external examiner (together with the course responsible) is present at the poster presentations and contributes to evaluatioion of assignments and the poster.
Examination details: Portfolio: Passed / Not Passed