AQQ253 Product Quality in Aquaculture
Showing course contents for the educational year 2022 - 2023 .
Course responsible: Turid Mørkøre
Teachers: Thomas Larsson, Magny Sissel Skinlo Thomassen, Bente Synnøve Ruyter, Ingrid Olesen, Øivind Andersen, Hans Magnus Gjøen
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: Faculty of Biosciences
Teaching language: EN
Limits of class size:
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in June block. This course has teaching/evaluation in June block.
Course frequency: Annually
First time: Study year 2007-2008
Central and current topics on quality of aquaculture products are presented during lectures. The industry's focus on product quality, problems and improvements will be addressed during excursions and visits to applied research institutions. The student is expected to present her/his impressions in the excursion report which has to be approved before the examination.
The student will during the course have gained a solid theoretical understanding of:
- Quality and the components responsible for quality of aquaculture products
- Insight into different analytical methods and possibilities for influencing/improving important quality parameters
- The students are further expected to gain detailed knowledge related to central sensory, nutritionally and processing related quality parameters, as well as the importance of ethical and hygienically safe products
- Insight into the factors regulating quality in practical production will be gained through the excursion and visit to applied research institutions
- The student is presented to the basic principles of quality, definitions and the needs for appropriate analytical methods and ways of influencing quality
Lectures, excursion and report writing.
The work of the student will be supported during excursion and as comments to the report. Teachers will be available for questions.
Chapters from Aquaculture from cage to consumption. Recent review articles and PowerPoint presentations.
Basic knowledge of chemistry and biochemistry.
Basic knowledge of aquaculture/biology.
Approved excursion report.
Written multiple choice examination.
Special requirements in Science
Type of course:
Lectures: 45-50 hours. Excursion: 3-4 days.
An external examiner will evaluate the examination.
Allowed examination aids: C3 Alle typer kalkulatorer, alle andre hjelpemidler - inkludert digitale
Examination details: Written exam: Passed / Not Passed