AOS337 Leadership in Knowledge Organizations
Check for course changes due to the coronavirus outbreak on Canvas and StudentWeb.
Showing course contents for the educational year starting in 2020 .
Course responsible: Nicolay Andre Melsæter Worren
ECTS credits: 10
Faculty: School of Economics and Business
Teaching language: NO
Limits of class size:
A maximum of 55 participants. M-ØA-students specializing in Strategic leadership have first priority.
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in Spring parallel. This course has teaching/evaluation in Spring parallel.
Course frequency: Annually
First time: 2017H
The course provides an introduction to leadership in modern knowledge intensive firms. It will give the participants a solid theoretical foundation and will help develop critical and analytical skills. At the same time, a key goal is to improve participants' skills in handling practical challenges and create increased awarereness with regards to the demands of a leadership role and the importance of leadership in general. The main focus is on knowledge and skills that one may start aquiring as a student, but that will require gradual maturation throughout one's career. The course will also be relevant for those who seek a role where they will support leaders (e.g., as consultants or HR practitioners) or contribute to organizational or leadership development. The course will cover leadership at different levels but will focus most strongly on leadership at the departmental level and in teams/projects.
- Awareness of the key challenges of leaders at different levels
- Knowledge of different approaches and perspectives in the leadership literature
- Be able to identify criteria for requirements for effective leadership and key contextual constraints
- Be able to evaluate assumptions related to key concepts/frameworks/theories, as well as identify similarities, differences and linkages across different concepts/frameworks/theories
- Be able to suggest an approach to resolve key leadership challenges (as one may encounter in practice) using course concepts (e.g., utilizing concepts, frameworks and methods from the academic literature).
- Be able to present and discuss ideas and concepts verbally to a group in an effective way
- Be able to describe and critique ideas and concepts related to this topic in writing using effective language
- Increased awareness of the importance of leadership
- Increased awareness of one's own knowledge and skill level
- Increased motivation to further develop one's own leadership skills
- increased interest in the scholarly literature in this area (and the ability to locate relevant sources for studies, methods, and tools)
A combination of methods will be utilized:Case discussionLecturesGroup assignmentsContributions from external guest lecturersSelf-evaluation
Active participation is necessary.
Course pack with articles and book chapters available from Boksmia.
Bachelor degree and AOS130 and AOS230 or similar.
AOS237 or AOS325 or similar. It is an advantage to have work experience or experience from positions in associations.
Exam: Participation in class 20%. Group assignments that count 30 % in total. Take home exam that counts 50%.
A retake exam is not organized in this course. Those who do not pass need to take the whole course.
Reduction of credits:
5 credits overlap with AOS331.
Type of course:
2 hour lectures per week (may be extended to 3 hours)
External examiner review the exam.
Allowed examination aids: C2 Alle typer kalkulatorer, alle andre skriftlige hjelpemidler.
Examination details: Continous Exam: A - E / F