AOS238-B Sustainable Strategies
Search for other courses here
Select other year
Showing course contents for the educational year 2022 - 2023 .
Course responsible: Silja Marianna Korhonen-Sande
ECTS credits: 7.5
Faculty: School of Economics and Business
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in Autumn parallel. This course has teaching/evaluation in Autumn parallel.
Course frequency: Annually
First time: Study year 2022-2023
One-year study programme in Sustainable Business and Leadership.
This course provides participants with knowledge and the ability to participate in strategic decision-making and strategy implementation in Norwegian organizations that have committed themselves to promoting sustainability in their activities. In addition to well-established, basic knowledge of strategy formulation and strategy process, participants gain insight into concepts, tools and models that help deal with trade-offs and increased complexity when strategic decision-making includes financial and non-financial goals, multiple stakeholders, increased time horizons and rapidly evolving regulatory claim.
The central themes of this course are internal and external analysis, strategic decision-making and strategy implementation
After completing the course, the participants have knowledge of
- the concept of sustainable strategy
- tools for analyzing the company's external environment with emphasis on understanding how environmental and social challenges lead to changed consumer behavior, investor behavior, industry norms and regulatory changes in various industries
- theory and models for understanding threshold resources and capabilities for sustainable businesses as well as building the company's internal factors that can contribute to competitive advantage
- the most important strategic options and the advantages and disadvantages of these for realizing opportunities in the form of new products, markets, and vertical and horizontal collaboration for sustainable business
- organization and implementation of sustainable strategy with emphasis on stakeholder inclusion and management of organizational considerations
After completing the course, participants can apply concepts, theoretical frameworks, and practical advice included in this course to
- carry out a strategy analysis, present strategic alternatives and give recommendations on the company's future strategy based on the analyzes and professional knowledge
- describe and formulate a strategy for sustainable businesses
- propose and implement strategy processes that help sustainable businesses achieve their strategic goals
Digital lectures, video, quizzes, group activities / individual assignments and related feedback.
The course uses textbook by Roos et al. and a selection of other materials. Find the list of exam literature and instructions on accessibility on Canvas before the course begins.
Four compulsory activities (approved / non-approved) individually. All compulsory activities approved before taking the final home exam. Completion of the mandatory activities may require the submission of video presentations. Instructions on the compulsory activities given at the start of the course. The compulsory activities are only valid for one semester, i.e. if a student wants to take the course again; he or she must retake all compulsory activities.
Written home exam: Pass / Fail. Counts 100% of the grade.
Minimum requirements for entrance to higher education in Norway (generell studiekompetanse)
Reduction of credits:
7.5 ECTS overlap with AOS237 Business Strategy
Type of course:
Two joint sessions digitally at the beginning and at the end of the course, 4-5 video lectures and two exercises per week. Additional work related to compulsory activities and exams.
An external examiner participates in censoring exam answers.
Examination details: :