BUS332 Decision Analysis and Capital Budgeting
There may be changes to the course due to to corona restrictions. See Canvas and StudentWeb for info.
Showing course contents for the educational year 2021 - 2022 .
Course responsible: Karl Jens Fredrik Bengtsson
ECTS credits: 10
Faculty: School of Economics and Business
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
The course will not be given in the spring of 2022, but will be given again in the spring of 2023.
Course frequency: Annually. The course will not be given in the spring of 2022, but will be given again in the spring of 2023..
First time: 2015H
From certainty to uncertainty, Risk measures, Sensitivity analysis, Scenario analysis, Expected utility, Structuring of decisions, Decision trees, Decision criteria, Value of information, Subjective probabilities, Stochastic dynamic programming (focus on applications within the course), Multi-attribute decision making, Dominance, Portfolio perspective, CAPM, State preference model, Risk adjustment inside and outside the market, Relevant risk, Use of market information, Option aspects of real investments, Implications of capital structure, Investment behavior in case of financial distress. Human cognitive aspects of decision making.
The course deals with decision analysis and real investment in companies and under uncertainty. The course will have a predominance of theory and the main part of the course deals with understanding and using different approaches to analyse and model decisions under uncertainty. This also includes calculating present values of projects with real options. This will at a later stage be used in decision making. A number of stylized problems and models with a simple structure, but still with important general results, are used.
- will have an extensive understanding of theories connected to evaluation and choice of projects and real investment under uncertainty. This includes utility theory, capital asset pricing model, state preference model and option pricing theory
- be familiar with how optimization (linear and stochastic dynamic optimization) can be applied in investment decision making
- understand how capital rationing may affect investment decision making
- understand how capital structure may influence project values and create conflicts between debt and equity holders.
- analyze projects where uncertainty is thoroughly evaluated, and quantified.
- evaluate uncertainty at project and portfolio level
- link project evaluation to capital market models (capital asset pricing model CAPM and state preference model SPM)
- decide which analysis level that is the most appropriate with respect to relevant risk and target group
- model and analyze investments when there are possibilities to adapt decisions as more information becomes available (using stochastic dynamic programming)
- identify, model, analyze and, to a great extent, determine the value of real options
- analyze investment choices when capital is limited
- explain how financing can affect project values and how financial distress can create conflict between debt and equity holders
- update on new research and knowledge within the field
- be able to ask critical questions and contribute in a constructive way to organizations working with projects and real investments.
Lessons and exercises
Selected articles and selected parts of books
BUS210 and BUS220 or equivalent.
BUS230 or equivalent.
Term paper with submission in four parts. If the student has approved mandatory activity from before it is not necessary to hand in new assignments.
Final written exam 3,5 hours, counts 100%.
The course is for master students enrolled in the following programs: Master in Business and Administration, Master in Economics and Master in Industrial Engineering and Management. It is also open for other master programmes from NMBU with satisfactory competence.
Type of course:
4 hours of lectures and exercises per week
Please note that the course will not be offered in the spring semester of 2022.
Allowed examination aids: C3 Alle typer kalkulatorer, alle andre hjelpemidler - inkludert digitale
Examination details: One written exam: A - E / F