The European Research Council's (ERC's) mission is to encourage the highest quality research in Europe through competitive funding and to support investigator-driven frontier research across all fields, on the basis of scientific excellence. Being 'investigator-driven', or 'bottom-up', in nature, the ERC approach allows researchers to identify new opportunities and directions in any field of research, rather than being led by priorities set by politicians. This ensures that funds are channeled into new and promising areas of research with a greater degree of flexibility.
Due to the Covid-19 situation we cannot hold the course on campus. NMBU is instead offering a pre-recorded ERC Beyond Training Course. Watch it at a time that suits you and follow the live Q&A session November 12.
The whole course will be in English.
- In order to have access to the course you need first to pre-register here: https://nettskjema.no/a/162039. You will receive a reminder on when the official registration at Enspire starts. In case of over-subscription applicants to the up-coming ERC 2021 calls will be prioritized.
- Registration by Enspire 14.10.-27.10.
- For applicant previously not familiar with the ERC it will be an ERC introduction webinar 28.10
- The ERC beyond training course will be available 28.10 - 13.11. (total length 2h 45 min)
- Live Q&A: 12/11 at 10:00
- Note that you need to complete the online course by 11/11 (at 13:00) in order to participate at the Q&A. The rationale behind this is that the live session is only complementary to the pre-recorded online course, which is the main part of the training. Since the aim of this session is only to clarify and provide more detail where needed on top of the pre-recorded online course, we do not think that attending the Q&A would have an added value for those who did not watch the course.
- The course will be available until 13/11 - this will give participants time to re-visit the course in light of the discussion in the Q&A, if needed.
Participants will have the possibility for individual sessions discussing their project idea and CV/track-record with an Enspire consultant in the days after the course.
More about the ERC Beyond course:
The ERC funding scheme has a highly counterintuitive essence when compared to the rest of the EU grants. Enspires customized course helps you decipher the elusive nature of the ERC & firmly grasp the unwritten rules for success.
The topics of this course include:
- The competitive PI profile – who is “ERC Material”?
- What constitutes the required Scientific Excellence?
- The unique nature of ERC: high-risk, high-gain, non-incremental work
- Hypothesis for ERC – how to do it right
- How to write a convincing methodology chapter
- Collaborations in ERC
- Review panel selectionand the panel-application reciprocal effect
- Suggested ERC thinking process
- ERC calls – Starting, Advanced, Consolidator andSynergy
- Ethical issues
- And more…
To achieve a competitive proposal, it is imperative to acquire a firm grasp at the funding scheme’s basic requirements and rules, as well as its more conceptual and unwritten expectations. To ensure this, Enspire offer their “ERC Basics” course (recommend for first-time ERC applicants), as an important prerequisite to the “ERC Beyond” course. NMBU do not offers the “ERC basics course” but will instead have an ERC introduction seminar.