Welcome to work in the Plant Cell Lab
Contact: Lab. coordinator Tone I. Melby, email@example.com
Field of work and laboratory analysis
- Cell- and tissue culture (solid- and liquid cultures, bioreactors)
- Molecular biology (gene sequences and gene transcript sequences, analyses of gene expression, in situ hybridization, and other standard molecular work)
- Protein (Western-blot analysis, ELISA)
- Cell biology (preparation for microscopy, immune-localization, light microscopy)
- Biochemistry analysis (carbohydrates, fatty acids, pigments and others metabolites)
- Transgenic organism (create and working GMOs, gene editing technology/CRISPR)
Two courses with a lot of laboratory teaching (Biotechnology in plant (BIO244), RNA in situ hybridization (BIO350)) have all their lab teaching here and is dependent on equipment/instruments that are also used in research.
Cell- and Tissue cultures
Equipment for making nutrient media
- Autoclave etc
Sterile rooms (4)
- Laminair air flow benches (LAF) (8) and LAF Biohazard bench (1)
Growt rooms for cell- and tissue cultures (3)
- Light 20°C
- Light 23°C
- Dark 23°C
- 6 x 2 liters
Telstar, LyoQuest with standard chamber.
Ice condenser capacity 5 kg/24 h.
Rotavapor and Speed Vacuum Concentrator
- Buchi. Rotavapor R210 and Vacuum Controller V850
- Speed vacuum concentrator SC210A and Savant RVT400 Refrigator Vapor Trap
- Leica DM 5000B fluorescens microscope with camera (Leica DFC 425) connected to a computer with image analysis software (LAS), manuell multifocus.
Fluorescens filters: UV (A), Blue(I3), Green(N2)
- Two old microscope, upright (1) and invert (1) for liquid tissue culture
- Leica M205 with automatic multifocus and camera/software like DM 5000B.
- Leica MZFLIII fluorescens with camera (Leica DC 300F) connected to a computer with image analysis software. Fluorescens filters: UV, GFP2(Plus fluorescens), GFP3 (Plant fluorescens)
- Routine manual stereo microscopes (10)
Embedding system paraffin wax
- Tissue processing machine – Tissue -Tek VIP
- Embedding machine – Tissue-Tek TEC
- Mettler Toldeo. Excellence Plus XP. Range: 1µg – 6 g
Instruments, molcular biology
- TissueLyser II. Rapid Cell & Tissue Homogenization
- DNA/RNA UV-cleaner. PCR-cabinet for master-mix.
- DNA gel electrophoresis equipment
- Helios-α. For cuvettes, UV-Vis.
- Biochrom Asys UVM 340. Plate reader, 340nm-800nm.
- NanoDrop One. Concentration and purity of DNA/RNA/Protein
Aglient 2100 bioanalyser.
Check the quality of RNA/DNA, also the quantity.
- Quantitativ PCR. 7500 Fast Real-Time PCR System, Applied Biosystem
QX200 Droplet Digital PCR (ddPCR), Bio-Rad.
Applications like gene expression, copy number variation (CNV), rare event/mutation detection, CRISPR.
- Tetrad 2 DNA Engine Cycle. End-point PCR, capabilities to run gradient PCR.
- T100 Thermal Cycler, Bio-Rad. End-point PCR, capabilities to run gradient PCR.
- Qubit assays, Life. Accurately quantifies DNA, RNA and protein.
- Protein Electrophoresis. Mini-Protein systems, Bio-Rad.
- Western Blot. Trans-Blot Turbo Transfer system, Bio-Rad. Rapid transfer.
- Chemi-Doc MP, Bio-Rad. Gel or Western blot imaging. Multiplex fluorescent western blotting, chemiluminiscence detection, geldokumentation, stain-free technology
Plant Cell Lab. Economy
- One man –labor year of the lab costs NOK 25 000
- Nobody can pay lower than 0.3 one man-labour, NOK 7 500
The bench fee cover:
- Use all the instruments in the lab
- Liquid nitrogen
- Ultra freezer, included boxes
- Common chemicals; salts, EtOH, acids, organic solvents etc
- Glass and some plastic labware, autoclave bag etc
- Gloves, dust mask etc
Staff in the laboratory
- Cell- and tissue cultures
Biotechnology, molecular biology
- Biotechnology, molecular biology, gene expression etc.
- Responsible for ordering
- Cell- and tissue cultures etc
- Green house
- Cell- and tissue cultures
- Biotechnology, molecular biology, gene expression, gene expression etc.