Feed Manufacturing Technology
Master of science (2 year) Full time
Feed technology is a subject area that is about increasing nutrient content of feed by combining technology, chemistry, physics and nutrition.
This program will merge with Animal Science and Aquacultur program for admission 2022. See admission requirements for Animal Science and Aquaculture.
In this master you will achieve skills needed for higher level management in the feed milling industry and related industries. The master study is also an excellent background for further scientific research in feed technology.
You will get hands-on experience with the various types of equipment and production lines by fully integrating the possibilities offered by the Centre for Feed Technology in the programme.
Teaching and training is partly based on lectures, but a considerable part is offered as demonstrations and training in groups. The courses are mainly taught by teachers from NMBU but external experts from the feed industry and international companies and institutions will also be called in when appropriate.
The study gives you unique knowledge about nutrition and processing technology. The competence is strongly needed in the feed industry. Your expert knowledge within animal feed production gives you many career opportunities.
Some examples of relevant employers:
- Feed companies: Cargill, Skretting, Nutreco, DLG Group, Mowi, Biomar, EuroPharma
- Forberg (Norway), Bühler (Swiss), Clextral (French), Wenger (US), Andritz (Danish)
- Candidates work as advisors and consultants, researchers and managers.
Read more about our alumni here: Alumni Feed Manufacturing Technology
The curriculum consists of a combination of nutritional, technological, chemical and physics topics, which combined will represent an unique approach to this topic.
You will become familiar with state-of-the-art feed processing equipment. You will learn about formulations and processing of aquafeeds, petfoods and feeds for traditional production animals.
Some relevant courses and content
Feed Manufacturing Technology (HFE305)
- Construction of a feed factory, transport and storage of ingredients.
- The principles of various processes in feed production – grinding, mixing, conditioning, expansion, pelleting, extrusion, cooling and coating.
- How the processes affect the nutrient content of the feed.
Advanced Feed Manufacturing Technology (HFE306)
- Production of feed and understanding of how the various processes and ingredients affect the feed.
Optimalization of Feed Processing for different animal species (HFE308)
- Adaptation of production to different animal species like ruminants, pigs, poultry and fish.
- Interaction between ingredients and components and processes.
- Understanding of ingredients and formulation, processing, animal species and quality of feed.
Management of production, Risk and innovation in Feed Production (HFE310)
- Novel ingredients and sustainable feed production through innovation.
- Development and innovation of new technological solutions and feed products.
- Quality, risk management, HSE, legislations and standards for feed production.
More information can be found in the education plan: Education plan
Feed technology and production is exciting because of all the factors that affect the finished product. The study has given me more knowledge about how the different machines work and how the processes affect nutritional quality.Merete Guldhav, masterstudent
Daniel Nøkland, former masterstudent in Feed Manufacturing Technology.
"The industry needs people with good knowledge of raw ingredients, machinery and nutrition. Committed students from NMBU are highly relevant and the opportunities are many. Whether it be raw material processing, feed production, research or advice directly to the farmer and/or productions. The industry is very willing to accept committed graduates and current students. I got opportunities for interviews by being curious and outreach with the staff and visitors at NMBU. Which led to a relevant job right after graduating."