Checklist for applicants:
1) Who may apply in the 15 October – 1 December admission process?
- Applicants from outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland
- EU/EEA and Swiss citizens
EU citizens who are completing their undergraduate degree in spring must apply for master’s programmes in the spring application period. Only applicants who are proficient in Norwegian may apply for bachelor's programmes in the spring application period.
2) Do you have the required academic background?
For the bachelor in International Environment and Development Studies, please see The Nokut GSU list . This list states the basic requirements for admission to higher education in Norway.
Admission to a master’s programme requires three years of higher education in addition to the basic entrance requirement, and grades comparable to a Norwegian grade C. A Norwegian C is described as a good grade, generally comparable to an American B and a Second Class Upper in the British system. All foreign education is individually evaluated during the admission process.
Your degree must be completed before you can apply. Admission is highly competitive and normally requires higher grades than the minimum needed to be qualified for admission. See the programme description for details on relevant background.
3) Do you meet our English language requirements?
Applicants must document proficiency in English with an internationally recognized test or education from certain countries. NMBU has a higher requirement for proficiency in English than stated in the Nokut GSU list. Please be aware that IELTS and TOEFL test dates fill up quickly. Be sure to schedule your test early. You can take the test until 15 December and upload test results until 10 January.
4) Can you document your financial ability?
- There are no tuition fees at NMBU.
- NMBU does not offer scholarships for bachelor or master students.
- All students must be self-financed.
- Financial ability must be documented when you apply
Applicants from outside the EU must document their ability to finance the stay in Norway in order to be granted a student residence permit.
The required amount is currently NOK 126 357,- (one hundred and twenty-six thousand three hundred and fifty-seven) for the academic year 2021/2022. Please see The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration for more information.
5) Do you have all required documentation?
Check our documentation requirements and make sure that you have all the required documents ready, and that they are in the correct format (.pdf). All requirements must be met by the application deadline.
All documents must be uploaded in the application portal. Applicants with higher education from Cameroon, Canada, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Ghana, Nigeria, the Philippines, Sudan, Uganda or the USA must also order transcripts sent directly from their university to
The Admissions office/SiT
P.O box 5003
If you are sending transcripts by courier you may use this address:
The Admissions office/SiT
Ole Sverres plass 1
6) Registering your application in the application portal
- The application periode is 15 October - 1 December
- Enter your name as written in your passport
- Please upload all documents when you register your application. Follow our guidelines on how to upload documents.
- 15 December is the final deadline to upload academic and financial documents. English test results can be uploaded until 10 January. Your application will be considered invalid if you have not uploaded any supporting documents within the deadline. Invalid applications will not be processed.
- You may apply for up to three programmes. You may reprioritize your three programmes until the application deadline.
- If you are offered admission to your first priority, you will not be offered admission to your second or third priority.
7) Getting your application results
The admission results will be available in the application portal by the end of April.
If you are offered admission, you will also be notified through your registered e-mail address and a formal letter of admission. Those offered admission will have a short deadline to accept the offer.
Applicants may be asked to present original educational documents upon admission.
If you have any questions, please check out our frequently asked questions page.