The course is of 6 ECTS and is organised by Prof. Lars Andersson, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
A written application letter (1/2 pages) stating the career stage and the interest on the course topics is requested.
The registrations will become binding 1 month prior to course start (from 15 December 2017), but participants are accepted till the start of the course (8 January).
Course Description and Content
The starting point is the challenges facing future agriculture and horticulture, including climate change with consequences for adaptation of cropping systems and plant protection. This will lead into discussions of adaptive traits of weeds, pest insects and plant pathogens, and expected changes in distribution and damage niche of these organisms. Lectures and discussions regarding control will include potential for implementation of new technology, plant breeding and biological control in future strategies based on Integrated Pest Management.
The course will serve as a platform for the training of coming scientists, and enable students from different background (ecology, crop production, soil ecology, plant ecology, entomology) to meet in common discussions, thus getting a broader knowledge.
The course encompasses a pre-campus period when students are requested to carefully read the selected articles, some of which are compulsory and some free of choice. Based on literature and own research interest students will formulate a draft for a research application, to be presented at the course summit and finalized after the summit.
The course summit will encompass lectures by senior teachers, good time for discussions in group and in plenum, and presentations by students.
- Lars Andersson, professor, SLU
- Lars Olav Brandsæter, professor, Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU)
- Terho Hyvönen, associate prof, Natural Resources Institute Finland (LUKE)
- Lise Nistrup Jørgensen, senior scientist, Aarhus University
- Margareta Hökeberg, director, SLU
- Mattias Jonsson, researcher, SLU
- Anders Kvarnheden, prof., SLU
- Velemir Ninkovic, assoc. prof., SLU
- Jesper Rasmussen, assoc. prof., University of Copenhagen
- Martin Weih, professor, SLU
Please find more information on the course and on how to apply here: