The course is of 3 ECTS and is organised by Prof. Ewa Mellerowicz, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
Development of novel wood-based products requires an understanding of the biological processes that lead to wood cell differentiation including cell division, expansion, secondary cell wall formation and programmed cell death. One-week intensive PhD course provides an overview of these processes, as well as wood organization, chemistry and structure in conifers and hardwoods, from the molecular level to the tissue organization level, followed by an update on molecular, genetic and physiological aspects of wood cell differentiation and cell wall formation. Lectures and seminars are given by experts in the field. Current tools for studying wood biology, structure and chemical composition are introduced with practical demonstrations.
The course is focused on biological processes leading to wood formation. It will include lectures and seminars covering the wood cellular organization and chemical composition, molecular and hormonal control of wood development, biosynthesis of wood cell walls, the overview of different methods of wood cell and cell wall analysis, model systems and bioinformatics resources to study wood biology. Practical demonstrations of current state-of-the art methods for analysis of wood, and hands-on experience with bioinformatics tools available and with wood microscopy will be included.
- Monday: Introduction to wood structure and ultrastructure, microscopy techniques to study wood, practicum in wood anatomy, poster and social activities
- Tuesday: Molecular and hormonal control of wood development, model systems to study wood, demonstration of xylogenic cell suspensions;
- Wednesday: Wood cell wall biosynthesis, social activities and poster presentations related to wood cell walls
- Thursday: Techniques to study wood and wood formation.
- Friday: Biotechnology of wood from a leading biotech company. Final social activities.
- Prof. Ewa Mellerowicz, SLU
- Dr. Anna Kärkönen, Natural Resource Institute Finland (LUKE)
- Prof. Geoffrey Daniel, SLU
- Dr. Hannele Tuominen, UPSC, Umeaa University
- Dr. Totte Niittylä, UPSC, SLU
- Dr. Urs Fisher, UPSC, SLU
Please find more information on the course and on how to apply here: