The course is of 5 ECTS and is organised by Professor Jette Bredahl Jacobsen, University of Copenhagen - Faculty of Science.
The aim of this course is to provide a systematic overview of the ecosystem service approach, which is pivotal in the current global sustainability agenda and represents a shared language for natural, social, and economic sciences. The underlying logic of the ecosystem service approach is to support nature conservation without disconnecting it from sustainable development. The concept has been developed into a theoretical framework with several practical applications. Still, relevant literature is far from converging towards a theoretical consensus. Part of this plurality originates from confusion or misinterpretation of the concept, and part is the result of the incremental development of new concepts that deserve to be understood and embraced.
The course aims to clarify the foundational concepts and applications within the ecosystem service literature, including: Definition and classification of the ecosystem service approach; Identification and use of indicators; Monetary and non-monetary valuation; Governance challenges; Stakeholder engagement processes; Limitations and opportunities for future applications (e.g., service science).
The lectures will be based on a mixture of presentations and classroom discussions based around foundational Ecosystem service literature.
- Day 1: Introduction to the course; Ecosystem service definitions and classifications.
- Day 2: Ecosystem service indicators; Monetary and non-monetary valuation.
- Day 3: Ecosystem service governance; Stakeholder engagement (e.g. business).
- Day 4: Limitations and ethical considerations in Ecosystem service thinking; Opportunities for future applications (e.g. Service science).
- Day 5: Summary, general discussion, instructions for writing the essay.
- Jette Bredahl Jacobsen, University of Copenhagen
- Brent Matthies, University of Helsinki
- Dalia D'Amato-Pihlman, University of Helsinki
Please find more information on the course and how to apply here: