Questions and Answers on the Coronavirus disease for NMBU students

On this page you will find answers to frequently asked questions in connection with Coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Updates and changes will be added as the situation unfolds. If you have further questions, please contact us on

Questions and Answers on the Coronavirus disease for NMBU students

Classes, Exams, Thesis Submission

Will classes be taught as usual?

Some classes are now on a digital platform, and we are working on solutions for others. Follow closely on your student e-mail, Canvas or contact your course instructor

What will happen with exams?

Due to the coronavirus, it has been decided that exams in the spring of 2020 requiring your physical presence on campus will not be held. Various solutions to conduct exams digitally are in development. Due to the resources required to facilitate this, it is important that you withdraw from exams /re-exams that you will not take this spring. Therefore, we kindly ask you to withdraw from the course(s) on Studweb by April 1st if you do not plan to take the exam(s). Please follow closely on Canvas for more information on individual exams.

What happens with absence due to the corona situation?

The usual rules for valid absence and re-examination apply. In the spring of 2020, NMBU allows self-notification as documentation for valid absence on the exam in accordance with the temporary regulations on studies §6 (2). Here you will find more information about illness and valid absence and how to register the absence. The deadline to report a valid absence is five days after the exam.

My deadline to deliver my master thesis is 15 May. Will special arrangements be made?

In an extraordinary meeting on 2 April, the University Board will discuss a supplementary clause to the temporary regulations which authorizes the Rector to grant a collective extension of the thesis submission deadline. Provided that the University Board grants this authorization to the Rector, a deferred deadline will be granted until 2 June for theses with an original submission deadline of 15 May.

Digital submission of the thesis (both bachelor and master) will be arranged, and no printed copies of the thesis will be required. If an extension beyond 2 June is required, the student must apply to the faculty, and the Department of Academic Affairs will provide a digital application form. The link to the application form will be provided at a later date.

Will the library and reading rooms be open?

Libraries and reading rooms on Campus Ås and Adamstuen will be closed as of 12.03 due to the coronavirus. A lot of library services are still ongoing, even of the buildings are closed

I have books/other things on campus that I need - what should I do?

It is possible to arrange to collect your things by contacting the property department on as soon as possible.

What will happen with events at NMBU?

NMBU is now closed and all events must be cancelled or postponed. If possible, events can be held on a digital platform.

Exchange Studies

I am on exchange abroad - how does the situation affect me?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs today (March 14th) currently advises students studying abroad to travel home. Norway and other European countries will be restricting entry at the borders. This is especially important for students currently in a country without a well-established health care system. Special Note: Norwegian citizens and residence permit holders will be allowed entry into Norway, but non-Norwegian citizens without a residence  permit will not be allowed to enter the country.

Students who plan to complete their exchange abroad in May/June must consider this individually and on the basis of advice from the local authorities. We ask you to follow the advice from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' as well as the recommendations from the local authorities in the country where you are now.
The situation is changing rapidly. Countries may, at short notice, introduce entry restrictions or mandatory qyarantine for travellers arraiving from countries that are affected by COVID-19. In addition, borders may be closed, flight cancelled, or other measures may be introduced. For more information call the Foreign Service Response Centre on the following number: +47 23 95 00 00.
Contact us at if you are unsure how to proceed.

What happens with the rest of the semester? Will I be able to get the exchange approved?

We recommend that you travel home as soon as possible. At the same time, we ask that you communicate with your host university about alternative arrangements for the remainder of the semester so that you can get full credit for the semester. If you are unable to make alternative arrangements, contact your study coordinator at NMBU as soon as possible.

What will happen with my Erasmus+ stipend?

Flexibility will be shown as much as it is possible. More information will be available soon.

What will happen when I land in Norway?

All persons who have been outside of Norway must be quarantined for 14 days after arrival in the country.
As of 17.3.2020 this includes Sweden and Finland without retroactive effect.

What happens with my apartment abroad and the remaining rent payments?

You should to cancel your housing contract.  If it is not possible, you can contact your travel insurance company to find out whether these costs can be covered. SiT can provide a confirmation letter stating that you have been asked to return to Norway or travel home.

I do not have a place to live when I return to Norway. What should I do?

Contact SiÅs Housing immediately at

SiÅs Housing

I live in SiÅs housing and I have been infected. Who should I inform?

You must inform NMBU on this form and you should also send an email to They will work together with the local medical authorities to determine whether additional measures which must be taken.

I live in SiÅs housing. Are there guidelines for what we can and cannot do to prevent infection?

In light of the coronavirus pandemic, SiÅs requests that all tenants do everything possible to reduce the risk of infection. Until further notice, all social activities in student flats should be kept at a minimum. If tenants become ill or have been in contact with infected persons, the following applies:
SiÅs flats vary in size, but most students live in relative close quarters. It is recommended to closely follow the recommendations outlined by the Norwegian Institute for Public Health. Keep updated on the webpages for Ås Municipality.

Travelling and Public Transportation

How can I avoid getting stuck abroad due to the coronavirus?

Several countries are in the processing of partially or completely closing their borders. Plan you travel route carefully to avoid countries with closed borders and countries where the coronavirus is widespread and the risk of infection is high.
If you are in a country where the situation is stable and the virus is not widespread. You may choose to remain in that country. You will be followed up by NMBU.

I plan to travel, what should I do?

NMBU strongly discourages international air travel. International air travel increases the risk for infection, need for quarantine both in Norway and abroad. Students and employees under the auspices of NMBU are not allowed to travel to the areas specified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (in Norwegian) and areas with widespread transmission. NMBU strongly recommends to follow the same advice for leisure/personal travel as well. If you have nevertheless travelled to these areas, you should not be on campus for the first 14 days after returning to Norway. If you suspect that you have been infected, contact your general practitioner by phone or urgent care at 116 117.

Keep updated on the webpages for  Ås Municipality and Oslo Municipality.  

Is it dangerous to use public transportation?

The Norwegian health authorities report that public transportation will still be available, but advise everyone to avoid travel, including public transportation and to keep a reasonable distance from other persons if possible.

Medical Insurance and General Practioner

Do I have medical insurance as an international student if I get coronavirus?

International students have insurance coverage in one of four ways:
- You have a Norwegian ID number or if you waiting for your Norwegian ID number to be issued but have a residence permit that is valid for longer than 9 months. You are covered in Norway like a Norwegian national. After receiving the ID number, you were either assigned general practitioner or you selected on yourself.

- You have an EU health card. This normally applies to EU students who do not have a Norwegian ID number. You are also covered by the Norwegian Health Care System. This group of students is not assigned a general practitioner.

-  You have applied and been granted Voluntary Member in the Norwegian Healthcare Scheme. You are covered like a Norwegian national. This group os students is not assigned a general practitioner.

- All other short-stay students have their own private medical/travel insurace. You should contact your insurance company to find out what your coverage is. This group of students is not assigned a general practitioner.

Who is my General Practitioner?

You can log onto the Helsenorge webpages to see who your general practitioner is and/or switch to another doctor. You can also call Helsenorge at 23 32 70 00 to ask for assistance.

Study Permit Renewal and Part-time Work

How will I renew my study permit?

It is unclear at this time how this issue will be resolved. As per the UDI website, all police appointments have been cancelled. We will continue to follow the situation closely and post any changes here.

I have been laid off due the coronavirus. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits as an international student?

At this time, international students are ineligible for unemployments benefits. However, this is currently being discussed at the government level.

Quarantine, Symptoms and Infection

I am in quarantine. How does this affect me?

If you are unable to attend exams due to quarantine ordered by your doctor, the same rules apply as with illness. You can also be entitled to a medical note if your doctor determines that you must be isolated due to suspected infection. If you have contracted coronavirus or are in quarantine, you must inform NMBU on this form. If you have informed your study advisor earlier, we ask you to fill in the form now.  

I have been in an area with widespread infection. What should I do?

If you have been in areas with widespread transmission, you cannot be on campus for the next 14 days. 

I am currently in an area with widespread infection – what should I do?

If you are currently in an area with widespread infection, you should avoid contact with infected persons, especially persons with obvious respiratory symptoms. As with all infections, frequent hand washing with soap and water is an important preventative measure, both while travelling and to minimize the spread of infection. Alcohol based hand disinfection products can be a good alternative if you do not have access to regular handwashing. While abroad you should also follow the recommendations from local authorities. Travel Recommendations from the Norwegian Institute of Public Health. 

I have been exposed to the coronavirus and I have developed cold symptoms. What should I do?

Persons who suspect that they might be infected should contact their doctor for advice:
- Call your general practitioner or urgent care services at 116 117
- Follow the doctor’s instructions. The doctor will determine whether you will be tested, and you might be asked to remain in home quarantine. 

What should I do if I have been exposed, but I am not sick?

Contact your general practitioner or call urgent care (legevakt) at +47 116 117. 

Published 12. March 2020 - 16:26 - Updated 31. March 2020 - 16:53