The overall goal of CoE CERAD is to better understand implications of radiation than we do today. The work leads to a reduction in uncertainties and provides a better basis for assessing the risks and implications of radiation, even when humans are exposed to radiation in combination with other stressors. To achieve this we use methods such as Illumina sequencing focusing on key factors that are important for the understanding of radiation effects. Our goal is to provide new knowledge about health hazards after exposure scenarios that are relevant to humans, in the individual, but also in coming generations. Moreover, we examine combination effects following exposure to other environmental / lifestyle factors, and use i.e. mice as model for humans. The research includes transcriptional, epigenetic as well as genetic changes.
As a researcher in the CERAD CoE you will be part of a highly interdisciplinary and international research team consisting of, among other things, molecular biologists, geneticists, toxicologists and others. So far, 24 PhD students and 9 postdoctoral fellows have been associated with CERAD CoE.
In the Department of Bacteriology and Molecular Biology, whole-genome sequencing and bioinformatics are central techniques, primarily for infection monitoring of microbes, but also within omics in mice and humans. With you as part of the team our aim is to further develop our current expertise within bioinformatics in humans and mice. In addition, the department works with molecular biology, DNA damage, mutagenicity and toxicology.
- Education at doctoral level in natural sciences (molecular biology, medicine, veterinary science or similar), bioinformatics, computer science, statistics, biostatistics or other relevant subject area
- Practical experience in statistical / bioinformatic analysis of large and complex data sets
- Experience with R and other relevant programming/scripting is necessary
- Experience with and ability to develop international cooperation will be emphasized
- Experience with molecular biology and / or toxicology is an advantage
- High research activity and central role in publishing in highly rated international peer-reviewed journals will be emphasized
- It is required that you have excellent English skills, both written and oral