NEW UPDATE 08.04:
The government has implemented the tightest measures for Viken (Covid-19 Regulation, Chapter 5A), which has led to the closure of campus. The government announced a four-step plan for reopening society. The levels of infection will determine the way forward. Three weeks must elapse between each step to ensure enough data is collected to determine opening dates.
Campus is closed, and all teaching is online. Laboratories, etc., are also closed to students. So far, no exceptions have been made in Viken; NMBU Management would like campus to be open to those few students who need to progress in their studies under these strict infection prevention measures. We have reported this to the Ministry of Education and Research.
Work from home as much as possible. Exceptions exist for employees who must be physically present on campus, e.g., those who are responsible for health and safety, and critical operations. Talk with your manager to determine what is the case in your situation.
The new measures are in place up to and including April 14.
Everyone must take the infection prevention course.
NMBU has only had a few cases of infection in total. All close contacts have been contacted by the municipal chief doctor. If you have not been contacted, then you are not a close contact and do not need to quarantine.
Teaching will be held online.
The exception is students in practice (e.g. at the Norwegian Veterinary College). This means that we can no longer make exceptions for student activity in the laboratories.
Employees and students must have taken the infection prevention course before they are granted access to the premises.
We request employees to work from home as much as possible. An exception applies to employees whose jobs demand on-campus presence, e.g., for those who are responsible for life and health, and critical activities. Talk with your closest manager to determine what the case is in your situation.
Factors we must take into account when on campus are:
- The possibility to maintain a two-meter distance between people at all times during the workday.
- Employee participation in the strengthened cleaning regime. Checklists exist and disposable cloths have been placed in all kitchens that employees use, for this purpose.
Capacity in meeting rooms on Campus Ås
Here you can access the teaching schedule for the upcoming teaching period, and information on how to find vacant classrooms.
University Reception (Servicetorget)
Mail is delivered and sorted daily at University Reception.
If you have outgoing mail that is urgent, or you need a new access card, call University Reception (67230000) to make an appointment. The switchboard and University Reception are open from 8:00 - 15:45. University Reception has now moved to Hippocampus.
Due to extra cleaning requirements there is limited capacity, and the cleaning unit must prioritize its duties. This means that employees and students must contribute towards extra cleaning duties themselves. We must, on a daily basis, wipe surfaces in our own office workplaces, kitchens must be cleaned by employees, and there are restrictions on the use of common areas such as kitchens, meeting rooms, etc. See the action card for our new everyday life with corona.
Hand sanitizer is placed at the entrances to classrooms. It must be used both when entering and leaving classrooms. Disposable wet wipes are placed on each row of benches in auditoriums, classrooms, etc. Students shall use these to wipe down contact points where they work – table, armrests, etc. Each teacher shall wipe down his/her workspace, computer, etc.
Checklists are in place for teachers as to which measures apply for the use of the classroom in question. The person who is responsible for the practical implementation of the teaching must ensure that the measures are followed and remind students of what their tasks are. We request that faculty management informs teachers about this list.
The cleaner will refill wet wipes and hand sanitizer as part of the daily cleaning routine. Even so, if cleaning supplies run out contact the Department of Estates and Facilities by email: email@example.com. Give the building and room number.
In line with government regulations, NMBU Management recommends that employees work from home as much as possible. Managers at NMBU must evaluate on-campus work versus work that can be carried out online / from home. Individual circumstances should be discussed between managers and employees.
The services listed below are safe and secure to use off-campus:
- Via Home Office you can access your virtual NMBU desktop. You will be able to access your home area, shared folders, email, and administrative services.
- On the NMBU Portal you can access select NMBU services.
- If you are logged in through an unknown network (insecure network), then the IT department recommends you to use VPN.
The Ministry of Local Government and Modernisation informs that there is no basis to suspend state employees.
The pertinent special agreement on flexible work hours provides for an additional timeframe from 06:00 to 21:00. The Working Environment Act (§ 10-11 (3)) allows for an employer and employee to make individual arrangements to work between 21:00 and 23:00. It is possible to make such an agreement. The requirement for break times must be observed.
If you are not able to work on your project, we strongly recommend that you register and document the reasons for this. Such registration and documentation may, at a later stage, form the basis for an application for extension of your contract. It is important to maintain close contact with your faculty, advisors, and project leaders, in order to find good solutions together.
Rights in case of delays due to illness / closed kindergartens / schools due to corona.
Frequently asked questions for NMBU students.
Ordinary meetings hosted by NMBU should be held online. Gatherings and conferences must be cancelled or postponed if online solutions are not possible.
We offer support for digital meetings (scroll down for English). NMBU, like the rest of the higher education sector, uses Uninett as our supplier. Read more about Zoom, personal privacy and security (in Norwegian).
- IT or AV personnel can offer remote help (online) during the event. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you need to check the physical equipment (studio, panel, etc.), you must do so ahead of time without participants present.
If you are arranging an excursion, you must stick to the rules set by the local host and transport company. The Faculty of Environmental Sciences and Natural Resource Management has created an action card for transport, overnighting and activities on excursions (in Norwegian). It can be a good tool to use to ensure infection prevention.
As of Jan. 1, 2021, the leave-of-absence codes tied to corona have been reinstated.
People who ignore the national government's travel advice and who must therefore quarantine upon return to Norway may be denied sick-leave compensation.
Self-notification of corona-related illness or quarantine follows the normal rules for self-notification.
From Jan. 1 to March 31, 2021, self-notification due to corona-related illness or quarantine must be registered as:
Code 1012 – self-notification Corona.
If you are ill for more than the 16 days when you can use self-notification, then you must be placed on sick leave by your doctor. Inform your leader of your sick leave.
When your sick leave is due to corona, the Payroll Section must be informed in order to seek reimbursement from NAV. The following form must be filled in:
Form for corona-related illness
The form must be sent to: email@example.com
Your manager is responsible for filling in the form and sending it to the Payroll Section.
Leave of absence due to sick children
Parents' quota of care benefits is doubled for 2021. The exemption rules will be extended up to and including June 30, 2021.
In addition, the following special provisions are extended in the exemption regulations.
- The right to care allowance when schools or kindergartens are closed due to the pandemic.
- The right to care allowance when the quota is used up, if there are special family circumstances with regards to infection prevention. These special circumstances must be documented by your doctor.
- The right to care allowance when the quota is used up, if schools or kindergartens are closed. This applies irrespective of whether the closures are decided on the local or national level.
- When closure is decided on the local level, documentation must be provided of the closure.
Number of days of care allowance:
- For 1-2 children the number of days doubles from 10 to 20 in 2021
- For 3 or more children the number of days doubles from 15 to 30 in 2021
- For chronically ill children the number of extra days doubles from + 10 to + 20 in 2021
Care allowance for single parents:
- For 1-2 children the number of days doubles from 20 to 40 in 2021
- For 3 or more children the number of days doubles from 30 to 60 in 2021
- For chronically ill children the number of extra days doubles from + 20 to + 40 in 2021
All leave of absence due to sick children or caregiver's illness (care days) must be registered as:
Code 2010 - child(ren) and/or caregiver's illness
Exta days can be transferred between parents on an as-need basis. This is done by sending in the application «Overføring av omsorgsdager på grunn av stengt barnehage eller skole» on NAV.no.
In principle, vacation that has been requested and planned ahead of time shall be carried out as normal.
Further information about registering leave of absence can be found with the Payroll Section (in Norwegian).
NMBU follows the travel advice of the central authorities. You may find FAQ and answers on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs still advises against all travel that is not strictly necessary. Everyone should think very carefully before eventually travelling. Those planning travel must aquaint themselves thoroughly with the restrictions and infection prevention rules for the country they are planning to travel to.
Employees who choose to travel to countries not recommended by the central authorities must quarantine for 10 days after returning to Norway. Quarantine means that you must stay at home and cannot be on campus. Work travel must be cleared with your immediate lmanager.
All persons travelling to Norway must register themselves prior to arrival.
About cancellations of hotels, seminars, flights, etc.
In general, the State is self-insured and each unit must cover any costs that arise from cancellations of hotel rooms, seminars, etc., if this is not covered by cancellation insurance through credit cards or travel insurance. The Finance Department asks all units to keep track of costs that are incurred due to the situation with COVID-19 in order to eventually request compensation from the Ministry of Education at a later point.
The IT department has seen an increase in the number of viruses and fake emails related to the coronavirus. Be vigilant and be aware that criminals want to exploit the situation. This can include fake SMS, misinformation and financial scams. Contact your IT department if you are unsure about something you have received or been exposed to.
- The Norwegian National Security Authority advises increased vigilance around ICT-security, especially with regards to temporary home office solutions (in Norwegian).
- The World Health Organization (WHO) warns against criminals who pretend to be WHO employees.
- Tips to avoid being hacked.
- "På den sikre siden" provides good advice on how to have a secure digital life.
NMBU follows the applicable national and local regulations and guidelines at all times. Regulations to manage the corona outbreak change on a day-to-day basis.
The revised guidelines for holding a public defence during the pandemic are valid as of November 13, 2020. The Dean will decide whether or not a public defence will be held with physical presence at NMBU or be fully digitized. The faculty in question organizes the physical participation of necessary administrative and technical staff.
Requirement of public access to a defence
It is not a requirement that the trial lecture is a public event. The disputation, however, must be a public defence to be valid. This requirement may not be waived. Please read below how the requirement may currently be fulfilled.
- At a minimum, the PhD candidate, the disputation leader and the three members of the evaluation committee must attend the trial lecture and the public defence.
- Should NMBU’s internal member of the committee not be able to attend, the faculty will appoint a new internal member for the evaluation committee (cf. PhD regulations section 14 (5) d. and section 14 (7)). Should one of the external members of the committee not be able to attend, the internal NMBU member may step in to fill the role of this opponent.
A fully digitized disputation can be held
- The public defence may be held by completely digital means should physical attendance be hindered as a result of the corona situation.
- Technical conference solutions that may be used are Teams or Zoom.
- Digital presentations must be shared with all participants. This also applies to making the final and approved PDF version of the PhD thesis available.
- The requirement for a public defence may be met by giving access to join via the digital platform.
- Questions from the audience – ex auditorio questions – must be facilitated, via the digital platform or by email.
- Check with firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to see if you need to restrict the number of attendees using the digital platform for the public defence. This is to reduce the risk of technical problems.
Disputation/ public defence conducted with physical attendance on NMBU premises
- The number of people with physical attendance must be set to a minimum. This means: The candidate, disputation leader, committee member(s), supervisor(s) and any spouse/partner/cohabitant (in the same cohort as the candidate) and technical support staff for digital transmission (streaming).
- The public is given the opportunity to participate via a digital platform (as described for all-digital disputations).
- Department of Estates and Facilities must be informed of the time and place for the completion of the disputation well in advance.
- Distance requirements and other infection control measures must be met. Participants must be briefly informed about NMBU's infection control measures.
- The responsible organizer must ensure that an overview of the participants' names and contact information is available and can be handed over to the municipal chief doctor if there is a need to track and trace in the event of infection.
- See action card for access to office workplaces item 12 regarding the conduct of meetings.
The announcement of the public defence must contain information about:
- As a result of the coronavirus outbreak and accompanying restrictions the number of people able to physically attend the public defence is limited (insert max number of participants into the text).
- Information about digital access to the trial lecture and public defence, including information about the digital platform that will be used.
- How to access the approved thesis. This may be done, e.g., by sending the PDF version of the approved thesis by email or by sharing the document with registered attendees via Office365 OneDrive.
- How to oppose ex auditorio.
- Who can answer questions prior to the trial lecture and public defence.
The public defence must be cancelled should one of the following occur:
- The NMBU internal member of the committee (or the internal substitute member) is not able to attend
- One of the external committee members (or the internal committee member who acts as a substitute opponent) is not able to attend.
- Department of Research: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department of Estates and Facilities: email@example.com
- IT support: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Learning Centre: email@example.com
- Head of Security: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are sick and think that you might be infected with corona, call your doctor. If you have symptoms of corona, you will be tested. You must report to your manager if you are infected.
Students who suspect that they are infected with corona must contact their doctors. If they do not have a doctor in Ås they must contact Ås municipality doctor's office for testing.
NMBU has created an emergency crisis team comprised of university leadership, the Head of Security, the Chief of Health and Safety, and others. The team meets daily and evaluates the current situation on an ongoing basis.
Updated information, guidelines, frequently asked questions and much more can be found in the HMS handbook (internal links in Norwegian).
Advisory resource group
The advisory resource group consists of members from BIOVIT, MINA, KBM, SHF, the Veterinary College and representatives from the protection service and central HSE / emergency resources. Members have expertise in infection control and HSE.