Three positions as a PhD Research Fellow in economics and business are available at The School of Economics and Business.
The fellowship period is 3 years. Starting date 15.08.2021.
The positions are funded by the University.
We will give priority to candidates interested in one of the three topics listed below, but we will also consider well-qualified applicants with other topics within the overall research portfolio of the School (Open Topic).
All applications must be marked with the topic of interest (Topic 1, 2, 3, or Open Topic). Topics for applications are:
- Sustainable Finance: Climate risk and investments, Climate risk reporting, or Sustainable investments
- Environmental taxes
- Deforestation Diagnostics: identifying context-relevant policies to reduce tropical deforestation
or Open topic
All topics are described here - including contacts to the responsible faculty member.
The main goal of the PhD positions is the development of research capacity and competence. The successful applicants will participate in the School’s PhD programme in Economics and Business. The period of appointment is three years but may be extended to three and a half years if the PhD student contributes to teaching, supervision, research assistance, exam grading, and administration at the School.
The PhD students' research will be in one or more of the School's main research areas: business administration, finance, strategy and management, taxes, environment, climate, energy, natural resources, development, food, commodity markets, and entrepreneurship and innovation.
The successful candidate is expected to enter a plan for the progress of the work towards a PhD degree during the first months of the appointment, with a view to completing a doctorate within the PhD fellowship period.
The successful applicant must meet the conditions defined for admission to a PhD programme at NMBU.
- The applicant must have an academically relevant education corresponding to a five-year Norwegian degree programme, where 120 credits are at Master's degree level.
- Relevant educations are Master’s degrees in economics, business, or similar.
- Candidates without a Master’s degree have until 30 June, 2021 to complete the final exam.
- An average grade of B or better for the overall Master’s degree and a grade of B or better on the Master’s theses are required.
Emphasis is placed on analytical skills, academic grades, motivation, and qualifications to complete a PhD study. The candidate must be able to work independently, participate actively in the academic community, and be innovative and creative. It is an advantage if the applicant speaks and writes Norwegian.
The applicant must have a documented strong academic background from previous studies and be able to document proficiency in both written and oral English. For more detailed information on the admission criteria please see the PhD Regulations and the relevant PhD programme description.
Salary and conditions of employment
The position is placed in government pay scale position code 1017 PhD. Fellow. PhD. Fellows are normally placed in pay grade 54 (NOK 482.200,-) on the Norwegian Government salary scale upon employment and follow ordinary meriting regulations.
Employment is conducted according to national guidelines for University and Technical College PhD scholars.
For further information, please contact
- Head of Research, Professor Frode Alfnes, tel +47 67231112, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dean, Gro Ladegård tel +47 67231188, e-mail: email@example.com
or the supervisors assigned to each topic.
Submitting an application
The application must include
- Cover letter - statement of motivation and research interests and an outline of the proposed doctoral research project (2 – 5 pages)
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work - scientific publications)
- Copies of the original Bachelor and Master’s degree diploma, transcripts of records and letters of recommendation
- Documentation of English proficiency
- List of publications and academic work that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system (please follow the link “Apply for this job”). https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/199765/phd-research-fellowships-within-economics-and-business-three-positions
Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University's grading system. Please note that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
Application deadline: 01.03.2021
Applicants may be called in for an interview (by Zoom/Team).