Tax deduction card



  • Everyone who works in Norway must have a tax deduction card (skattekort). The tax deduction card shows how much tax the employer must deduct before paying wages.
  • Employees receive a "tax deduction notification" which does not have to be sent to the Norwegian University of Life Sciences.
  • The Norwegian University of Life Sciences receives the tax card details directly from the Norwegian Tax Administration.
  • Without a tax deduction card, 50 % tax is deducted from the salary. As soon as the tax deduction card has been submitted to the employer, the balance between 50 % and  the correct rate will be reimbursed.
  • The tax deduction card has a tax table number and a percentage:
    • Tax tables 7100-7299 are ordinary tax tables.
    • Tax tables 7300-7499 include the standard deduction for foreigners(
    • The percentage rate is only used for secondary jobs or if there is no tax table number.
  • Questions concerning the tax deduction card should be addressed to Skatteetaten or the Service Centre for Foreign Workers (

How to apply for a tax deduction card

  • Applications for a tax deduction card must be made on the form Application for tax deduction card (pdf) - RF-1209 ( and delivered in person at one of the selected tax offices, see detailed information on the application procedure. The issuing authority sends the tax deduction card to the applicant who must forward it to the Payroll Office at NMBU immediately.
  • Before applying for a tax deduction card, check if you might be exempt from paying taxes in Norway based on a tax treaty, see information on taxes. Even if you are entitled to tax exemption, you must apply for a tax deduction card; in these cases the application for tax deduction card should be accompanied by a cover letter specifically requesting tax exemption based on the applicable tax treaty.
  • The first two years international researchers are tax-residents in Norway, they are eligible for a standard deduction for foreigners ( (10 % of gross income, reducing taxes by about 2,8 %). Apply for this in  the box Other information on the tax deduction card application form. Note that the request for a standard deduction for foreigners must be repeated on the tax return form (selvangivelse) in April the following year.
  • A tax deduction card application also acts as an application for a national identity number. If a separate application for a national ID number has already been sent, inform about this in the box Other information  and notify the tax office when you receive the number.

Notification of tax deduction in new income year

At the end of December every year, taxpayers  reveice a notification of the tax deduction they will be subjected to in the new income year by post. Anyone who does not receive this notification must apply for a new tax card.

Tax cards are not issued automatically to:

How to renew or change a tax deduction card

If you do not receive a "tax deduction notification" in December, or if your financial situation changes significantly during the year, you should apply for a new tax card.

  • Visit the Service Centre for Foreign Workers ( or use the form Application for new or changed tax card/advance tax - RF-1102 (,
  • If your income and/or wealth situation changes significantly in the course of the income year, you should apply for a new tax deduction card to assure that the correct amount of taxes are withheld by the employer. Proceed as when renewing your tax deduction card or use the Norwegian Tax Authorities' online service ( (Norwegian).
Published 2. April 2014 - 14:42 - Updated 4. November 2019 - 13:19