ECN253 Økonomiske analyser av utvikling og fattigdom
Viser emneinfo for studieåret 2022 - 2023.
Emneansvarlige: Arild Einar Bjørn Angelsen
Medvirkende: Julia Del Carmen Naime Sanchez Henkel
Ansvarlig fakultet: Handelshøyskolen
Undervises på språk: EN
Undervises i periode:
Emnet starter i vårparallellen. Emnet har undervisning/vurdering i vårparallellen.
Første gang: Studieår 2022-2023
Undervises hvor?: Campus Ås
Development economics is the study of how national economies achieve development and reduce poverty, hunger and illiteracy. In this introductory course, we will address questions such as: Why do some countries make rapid progress while many others remain poor? What are the causes of extreme poverty? What policies have been most effective in improving the lives of the poor? How do economic institutions and natural resources shape the prospects of sustainable development?
The course will be structured in three parts: (i) major economic development theories, concepts and indicators, (ii) domestic policies and the structure of national economies, (iii) economic development within a global context: International and sustainability dimensions.
- Knowledge about major theories and concepts used in development economics.
- A critical understanding of key questions and debates on growth and poverty in developing countries.
- Knowledge about the role of institutions, international cooperation and trade in economic growth and development.
- Able to understand and critically evaluate current debates on economic development and growth.
- Able to write about and critically discuss a selected topic on economic development and poverty.
- Able to orally present and discuss a topic in economic development.
A combination of lectures and class discussions based on the required readings. A textbook to be selected will provide the reading for most classes.
A textbook in Development Economics to be selected.
It is recommended that students have some basic training in economics, for example, introductory courses in microeconomics (ECN110) and macroeconomics (ECN120/ECN122) or general economics (ECN100/ECN101). Motivated students with a limited formal economics background will be guided on how to obtain the needed basic understanding of economics concepts and reasoning.
Compulsory 80% attendance of classes and exercises
A combined assessment consisting of:
- One multiple-choice exam at the end of the course (40%).
- One individual essay (approx. 2000 words) on a chosen topic, approved by the course responsible (40%).
- One short essay (approx. 600 words), critically discussing the class presentation and essay of a fellow student (20%).
An external examiner will control the quality of the syllabus, questions for the final examination, and principles for the assessment of the examination answers.
Emnet vil blir undervist på engelsk. Innvekslingsstudenter kan ta kontakt med studieveiledere ved Handelshøyskolen (email@example.com) for å få vurdert om de kan få plass på emnet.
11 lectures (2 hours each, one per week) + student presentations.
Hjelpemidler ved skriftlig eksamen(er): A1 Ingen kalkulator, ingen andre hjelpemidler
Eksamensdetaljer: Samlet vurdering: Bokstavkarakterer